Friday, November 14, 2008

A Send Off to Anne

Tom's Mom, Anne, passed away two weeks ago, and we spent last week up in Washington saying goodbye to her, attending her funeral, and visiting with the rest of his family. Anne was an incredible woman, a consummate fiber artist, and a loving and supportive mother in law, and while these circumstances always make one sound trite, she will be missed greatly.

Knitting, spinning, weaving...she did it all. Stitch n Bitch? Her group met in the 1960s. State fair? Her spinning and weaving won her three Grand Championships and dozens of other ribbons (mostly blues) in the Western Washington State Fair. Sheep to shawl? You betcha.

Anne and I always shared a close bond due to our love of knitting, and so at Tom's sister's insistence I returned home with a few of her handmade items. Four pairs of Kool-Aid dyed wool socks she knit. Three woven wool scarves that were part of her weaving group's sale stash . Some yarn and a few booklets that missed a former garage sale. Practical, humble mementos of a woman who survived the Depression, served in the Coast Guard in World War II, birthed and raised six kids (five of them boys), and met each challenge with enthusiasm and humor.

She'll always be missed, but I have no doubt where she's ended up: She's whipping the angels into shape...and whipping them up some new robes in a lovely Cormo, too. So here's to Anne! The world is less one kick ass knitter, and that's a darn shame.

15 comments:

Natalie said...

I am sorry to hear of Anne's passing. From your words I know she will be missed. Big Hug.

jillian said...

I'm so sorry to hear of this news. My thoughts go out to you and Tom and your family. She was clearly a grand woman.

kgirlknits said...

She sounds wonderful - how very lucky you were to have a mother-in-law like that.

so lovely that you have some of her hand-made items to treasure, also.

my thoughts from here in Australia are with you and Tom

Kylie
x

Ellen Bloom said...

Oh! I didn't know that Tom's Mom was a knitter. How lovely that you two could bond over the love of yarn...and Tom.

My sympathies to all.

mary said...

So sorry to hear about Anne's passing. I hope the trip to Washington and the time spent with family was good. May you have wonderful knitting in heaven, Anne!

Liz K. said...

My condolences to you and Tom.

Anonymous said...

Jonathan and I send our love and condolences to you and Tom.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

My sympathy to you, Tom and your families. HUGS your way. Sounds like she was quiet an awesome woman and will be missed

Annette said...

I'm so sorry to hear this news. My condolences to you and Tom. It's nice that you have some of her wooly handknits for comfort. My thoughts are with you.

Debi said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. You and Tom are in my thoughts.

How lucky you are to have had such a wonderful MIL, she seems like an amazing woman.

((Madge and Tom))

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry about your loss! Thank you for sharing some of her story -- what an amazing woman!

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. How lovely, though, that you have such wonderful handknits to remember her by.

Nellie said...

What a woman! Its amazing how much life some people live. I'm really sorry for your and Tom's loss.

RoxyK said...

So sorry to hear about Anne - she sounds wonderful. My MIL passed 5 years ago now and is much missed.

**Hugs**