Thursday, March 27, 2008

Kickin' Out the Jams*

Happy spring! Not much blogging has happened this month, but there's been a good amount of knitting. And, just to mix it up a bit, some crochet, too.

March goals:

+ Keep knitting related purchases under $100. Well, it isn't the end of the month quite yet, but due to some strategic selling on Ravelry I've managed to spend $30.03 out of pocket in March. I'm not planning on buying anything else this month, and I have a lot of wiggle room even if I do, so I'm considering this a victory.
+ Finish crocheting baby blanket for Tom's grandnephew. Done. Details below.
+ Finish body of Cobblestone and one sleeve. Done. Knitting sleeves in the round is really fast, isn't it? I finished the first and cast on the second in two days. For me that's, like, unheard of fast.

I also cast on and finished the first cuff of my Lenore socks. There was a brief panic phase, where I thought I'd done one of the decreases incorrectly, but after conferring with my confreres discovered everything was copacetic. All the angst pooped me out, though, so the sock has been in time out since then. Still, it's pretty, yes?

* * *

Fine Lines Baby Blanket


Pattern: Fine Lines from Candy Blankies by Candi Jensen
Yarn: Rowan All Seasons Cotton in Lime Leaf (5 balls) and Citron, Remote, and Giddy (2 balls each)
Hook: I
Mods: None
Rating: Perfect baby shower gift
Ravelry link here.

As many of you know, last year was a year of orgiastic stash enhancement for me. This was largely due to several great 50% off sales, and the yarn for this blanket was acquired through two of them. Two years ago I made the first version of this blanket for my knit buddy Beth when she was expecting her second child. I hadn't expected to make another, but Rowan All Seasons Cotton at 50% off? In pretty, Easter egg shell colors? Hey, babies are always being born, right? Lemme get my credit card.

Not much to say about the pattern - it's mindless half double crochet with a single crochet border - but the Rowan colors just make me happy, y'know? And it's fast, which is great when the baby arrives several weeks early...which is what Tom's grandnephew did.

Well, we're pretty caught up, so that's it for this time. Catch ya on the flipside!

*Anyone else an MC5 fan?

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fun stripes! And I do love the colors. :)

mehitabel said...

Good to see your progress! Looks like you've been spending your time knitting...instead of nattering about knitting! (Not an original thought, I know...) I'm looking forward to seeing a finished Cobblestone on The Man!

Anonymous said...

I thought the asterisk was for the rest of the lyric...lol.

Pretty knitting stuff!

kgirlknits said...

ooh, lenore is looking pretty!!!

Anonymous said...

I think it's a well-known fact that I'm not the biggest fan of crochet, but I gotta tell you, the colors you selected for that baby blanket... LOVE!

I got a laugh about goal #1...then I realized, I usually yarn shop only a couple times a year, so actually, if I went by your budget, I'd have $1,200 to spend each year, that'd be $600 each time I go shopping. I'm always WAY under budget then! SCHWEEEEET!

Ellen Bloom said...

Wow! You've really progressed on Tom's Cobblestone! Looks great. Can't wait to see him model it.

Nellie said...

The baby blankie is sensational! Did you come up with that colour combo youself? Also, Lenore is looking good.

Anonymous said...

Cobblestone and Lenore are making fantastic progress.....still love me that blue Kathmandu yarn.

What a beautiful baby blanket....I'm so jealous....I can't crochet a stitch. Love those cheerful colors and Rowan All Season Cotton...yummo! Very lucky baby I would say!

Debi said...

Don't stay away so long, I miss you!

Rowan at 50% and you didn't tell me???

The blanket is fab - gorgeous color but not icky sweet baby colors.

I think Lenore is stunning! :)

Liz K. said...

Dude, I love the MC5. And you know my current obsession with the crochet blankies! Cute cute cute!

mj said...

Your Lenore is lookin' good! I'm still in a holding pattern on the feet, but I've completed a couple of other projects in the meantime. Also, love those blankets!

RoxyK said...

Wow - you're dong so well! A finished baby blankie (you've given me an idea to use up my ASC now - thx ;), well within March's budget, knitting up a storm on Cobblestone and doing good on Lenore!!! And yes, she is very pretty indeedy ;)

mary said...

Hurray! A cobblestone sleeve and a half; you're crankin'! The blankie is fast and so right and what else can I say about your Lenores, except they're perfect gothy goodness. Are you going to drive yourself crazy with April goals?

Annette said...

Wow! Great progress on your goals. Cobblestone is almost done! I can't wait to see Tom modelling the FO. Love the baby blanket - great colors and, I don't think I've ever shared this little fact but, I have a thing for stripes. My Lenores remain in time out...you're still ahead of me. :)

LINDA said...

Love the yummy colors for Lenores and baby blankie! You are tempting me to make another crochet blanket...it turned out fantastic. That Cobblestone is looking nice too! Congrats on lots of goals met!

LadyLinoleum said...

Everything looks wonderful! Hmmmm, I have to knit something with sleeves in the round. That's awesome.