Monday, March 03, 2008

Yeah Yeah Yeah

Hi! Here I am. February sucked. Let's sweep away the last vestiges of it, shall we, and jump into good stuff? Oh, yes, lets!

Goal Tending Pt. 2

February goals:
+ Keep knitting related purchases under $100. This includes yarn, patterns, needles, everything. Total spent = $41.94.
+ Finish Gothic Leaf Stole. Done! Recap this week.
+ Cast on Cobblestone and knit 10" of the body. Done! Approximately 16" up the body. I need to take it off the needles and measure, as I'm getting close to setting up for the sleeves at 17". I'm still lovin' the yarn. And the sizing is plenty big. It might be too big, but I have a contingency plan if it is: Feed Tom more cookies.
+ Cast on and finish first Lenore sock. Nope. I cast on twice, and ripped both times.

March goals:
+
Keep knitting related purchases under $100.
+ Finish crocheting baby blanket for Tom's grandnephew.
+ Finish body of Cobblestone and one sleeve.

Why, yes, March is a slacker goal month. Whatever. I'm feeling rebellious, and staving off lace shawl cravings until my Year of Lace (Ravelry group here) package arrives.

Mission Possible 2008

Finished goals are in italic. Goals finished in February are in orange.

1. Gift spinning wheel, spinning books, and fiber to Patty.
2. Felt one pair and Plasti Dip soles of 3 pairs of felted slippers.
3. Finish Gothic Leaf Stole. (4 skeins of Euroflax Sportweight in Eggplant)
4. Finish Cobblestone. (?? balls of Queensland Kathmandu Aran Tweed)
5. Finish Shedir. (1 ball of Rowan Calmer in Coffee Bean)
6. Crochet baby blanket out of Rowan All Seasons Cotton. (11 balls in Citron, Giddy, Lime Leaf and Remote)
7. Crochet stealth project.
8. Knit Unoriginal Hat out of STR Leticia in Ravenscroft.
9. Knit Unoriginal Hat out of STR Leticia in Hard Rock.
10. Knit Lenore socks out of STR Lightweight in Lenore.
11. Knit a pair of fingerless gloves (either ggh Cashmere or Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran).
12. Knit another pair of socks.

I Knit a Hat

Pattern: Noro Hat by Saartje de Bruijn
Yarn: Noro Taiyo in colorway 1 - 1 skein
Needles: US 7 16" Addi Turbos
Mods: None
Rating: *****

On President's Day our knitting group held an impromptu meetup. During it we moseyed over to the LYS, espied a basket of Noro Taiyo, and most of us came home with a skein. Casting about for a project for mine, I lit on Saartje's hat. It's great TV knitting you can finish in an evening or two.

And while I don't have the photos to prove it, it looks good on everyone. Trust me, it does.

The Taiyo is loosely spun and soft; perfect for a hat. I did suffer the ubiquitous Noro experience: almost to the end of the skein, the yarn shredded apart a foot away from a knot with an ungainly color join. (This join robbed me of my second repeat of pink. Gah.) It's kinda pricey, so I don't know if I'd buy it for a larger project. But for a one skein project? Very versatile.

15 comments:

Jodi said...

The hat is just too cute! I've never noticed this pattern before -- time to hop over to Ravelry and add it to my queue. :-)

jillian said...

Sweep, sweep, sweep!

That is one cute hat! I love that pattern. I love how it's earthy colored with one pink stripe!

mary said...

You're doing great on your goals. Yay for you! The hat is most awesome; love it!

Nellie said...

The knot and out of whack colour join is Noro' signature I think. Your hat looks great and the single pink band is a real feature.

Anonymous said...

Job well done on the Feb goals, and righteous March goals.

Loving that hat.......Noro knots, at least some things in life are consistent.

CAN'T WAIT for Gothic to be revealed....You know I've been chompin at the bits.

Annette said...

Look at you go! You're a goal busting machine. Love the hat too - great colors!

Debi said...

Hi Hunny, missed you!

LotusKnits said...

Aww your hat is cute! I saw some of that yarn at my LYS and drooled.

Look at you rockin' your goals too! Yay!

Hope you guys are doing well! *hugs*

Macoco said...

That's a bummer about getting gypped on the second repeat of pink! But the hat does look cute.

mehitabel said...

Looks like you are definitely making progress on the goals for this year! I'm such a slacker in that department. My excuse, of course, is that my yarnmobile is not very well organized--piles of important papers juxtaposed with bags of yarny projects in various stages of disarray. Oh well, you'll just have to be ambitious for both of us, k?

Liz K. said...

I admire your ability to stay focused on your knitting goals. I'm more like a three year old in a playroom. Five minutes on this, drop it! 10 minutes with this -- ooh, shiny! So distracted by the shiny!

Anonymous said...

Cute hat! And such a fabulous one skein project. I love it!

kgirlknits said...

I do like that hat! good job on the goals, too - well under budget :)

Octopus Knits said...

Beautiful hat, and it looks like you're doing quite well on your list of goals for the year!

RoxyK said...

Ooh loving' that hat :)

You're doing so well on your goals! Psst.....I have spent ZERO on knitting stuff so far and also ZERO in Feb. Shocking I know!

What happened to the Lenore's? Are you still going for the pattern?

Hope things are better now & sending cyber hugs ;)