Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Holiday Knitting, aka One for You, One for Me

For many, "holiday knitting" focuses on those wintry celebrations of light - Christmas, Hanukkah, Yule - where gifts are exchanged, nog is imbibed, and good cheer is felt by all. I, however, come from a background where "handmade" equates with "cheap," "regifted," and "ugly." My sister and I were scarred by inappropriate gifts throughout our childhood; we joke about it annually as we exchange our Xmas Amazon gift certificates and breathe our sighs of relief. With this background, I'm very sensitive to my own gift giving, and, except for a few select -and hopefully worthy - December presents, prefer to gift handmades throughout the year.

This year, my select gifts will be accessories. Right now I'm concentrating on cowls. Yep, I somehow am part of an online knitting trend. (Dunno how; usually I'm two years behind the eight ball, if not out of it entirely. I still haven't knit a Clapotis or a pair of Fetchings.)

Pattern: Tamarind Cowl by Kristen Hanley Cardozo
Yarn: Malabrigo Yarn Merino Worsted in Bijou Blue - 1 skein
Needles: US 8 16" circs
Mods: None
Rating: Five stars

What a great one skein project. It knits up lickety split, and gives bang for the buck with its ruched construction. Y'know I'm not a big Malabrigo fan (I know, I know), but I admit the yarn works perfectly for the pattern. It is soft, supple, and the subtle variegation provides a little interest. I'm currently working on a second.

I'm also having a blast knitting for mememe. Some of you have seen it on Ravelry, but for those who haven't, I'm knitting myself a Batgrrl Shawl for Halloween.

I'm currently on the third repeat, which means three bats are flying off my needles. Har. Any batty puns you'd like to share? This is the simplest lace shawl ever. Ever. The yarn is Elann's Baby Silk. Fuzzier than expected, but cheap enough for this silliness.

In other Halloween randomness: The AntiCraft's Samhain issue shall be devoted to Los Dias de los Muertos. Hold me back. And Herschnerr's has a Halloween yarn special. Ack!rylic. With metallic thread. $12.99 for 10 balls (in orange, black, yellow, white, green and orange/black/white variegated). Oh, the kitsch that could ensue.

* * *

On the turntable: The Cramps ~ Songs the Lord Taught Us

13 comments:

Natalie said...

cowls...hmmm, might be a very good trend train to jump on and get my hobo self making some tracks toward the holidays. thanks for the idea.

Ellen Bloom said...

Woolanthropy! Hey! She's MY friend!

Yes, I agree with Natalie...the cowls are an excellent idea for gift giving, especially for huge-necked people. Hahaha. LOVE the blue Malabrigo. I'm usually not a blue-lovin' person, but this yarn is gorgeous.

Kath said...

I'm eagerly looking forward to that next AntiCraft too! The bat shawl is looking marvelous but wow I bet the cowl is just yummy!

Did you know that Michael's is carrying glow in the dark yarn? That has some definite potential!

Anonymous said...

Haha- that Batgirl Shawl is perfect for Halloween!

cher said...

I never knew you had 3 hands! Your bat shawl looks great, I can't wait to start mine this weekend!

Anonymous said...

Holy Cowls Batgirl!!! OK, that's my bat pun for the day. Looking good......I sooooo love the bat shawl and that cowl will make a super nice gift.

Can't wait for the next surely skull filled anticraft to come out!!

mary said...

Excellent parsing system... one for me one for you, two for me, none for you. Those cowls are way too cool. And, I'm batty about your bats!

Curly Cable said...

Your bat shawl is looking superb. and Wow I love your cowl, it looks fabulous. the malabrigo works well with the pattern, and the blue is gorgeous. :)

Jodi said...

I'm totally with you on the early holiday crafting! I love that gorgeous blue Malabrigo -- I've never seen that color before.

And the Batgirl shawl is just plain awesome. I actually like Elann Baby Silk and Baby Cashmere quite well.

kgirlknits said...

love the idea of focusing on accessories, particularly cowls. just simplifies everything, doesn't it?

nothing you could ever make with your two hands could even remotely be considered "cheap", so gift away!

Nellie said...

Yep - I grew up under the yoke of lumpy hand knits as gifts as well! Its taken me years to throw off the idea of cheap, ugly and inappropriate. I've just given a cowl to my young, groovy niece and she seemed to love it. Ace gift choice, knitdevil!

mj said...

Good for you! I found a fabulous cowl in the Geode and Jasper Berocco book. It's called Georgene -- it's gorgeous! I'm thinking of making several...

Octopus Knits said...

The cowl looks so soft and cozy - a great gift - and the Batgirl Shawl is such fun!

P.S. You Hanami is gorgeous!