Friday, August 22, 2008

Hanami

The cherry blossoms
scatter and we watch and the
more cherry blossoms blow
~ Onitsura (1660-1738)

Mary was over yesterday morning. We were felting some stuff for her, and in between doing that we snapped a few shots of Hanami. She kindly agreed to model. Thanks, Mary, for strikin' a great pose!

Pattern: Hanami Stole by Melanie Gibbons (my Ravelry page here)
Yarn: Knit Picks Alpaca Cloud - 2 skeins in Peppermint Heather
Needles: US 2 1/2 (3 mm) 24" circular
Size: 15" x 54" (basketweave portion is 29" long and cherry blossom portion is 25" long)
Mods: Omitted beads on cast on; long tail cast on; slipped first stitch of each row purlwise with yarn in front; only knit 16 rows on chart G
Rating: It's pink and fluffy and has a great theme...what's not to love?

As I mentioned waaaay back when, my knitting group is doing a Summer of Lace KAL. For it I decided to finally do Hanami; this pattern has been a back burner on my queue since Melanie published it. What to say that hasn't been said already about it? Uh, not much. The pattern is straightforward and, while it became monotonous somewhere in the middle, provides a great impact when finished. What else? I love a good theme, and this shawl delivers. Though at 54" in length it really should be called a scarf, shouldn't it? Yes, indeed, which just adds to its versatility. Oh, and I love the ruffle. I wasn't going to do it, but at the last minute decided what the heck. Heck was right, because it's a perfect foil for all those falling blossoms.

* * *

In other news, I'm knitting lots. I've even begun *gasp* holiday knitting. More on that later, taters.

On the turntable: Cal Tjader's Several Shades of Jade

12 comments:

jillian said...

Ooooooh, pretty! It's perfect in that color :)

Jodi said...

Simply stunning! I love the color you chose to go with the pattern, too.

Yep, holiday knitting's occupying my knitting time lately, too. I'm enjoying it so far!

mary said...

Sigh, you really need to get a better model, like yourself! Hanami is stunning, as I knew it would be. Congrats lace-knitting maven! You Rock.

Natalie said...

Ellen mentioned your fab shawl at SnB last night so I had to come and check it out. It looks great. I bought the yarn for the pattern but I haven't mustered up my lace courage yet.

LotusKnits said...

holy wow that looks lovely!!! congrats on finishing! mary makes a great model for this too :) but we need more MADGE!

xoxo

Annette said...

Gorgeous! Did you and Mary coordinate her wearing a contrasting pink color? ;) Congrats on more beautiful lace.

Anonymous said...

OoooLaaaLaaa!! Looks great.

cher said...

What wonderful pink fluffy goodness! Dear Madge you may have inspired me to knit more lace. Oy Vey!

Anonymous said...

Looks great! And what a lovely model! :)

Debi said...

It's lovely Madge! I love when you show off your girly side :)

LINDA said...

Congrats on finishing your Lace KAL early! Your Hanami is fabulous...you must feel so accomplished. You definately have your knitting mojo on. Go Madge!

RoxyK said...

Oooh, so purrrty:) Glad we got a modelled version so we can see her in her full glory :)