Wednesday, September 05, 2007

We're Having a Heat Wave

It's been a crazy week. Highlights:

+ Temps in the low to mid 100s. Wicked hotness, especially for all the furry critters. At night I've been leaving water out for the skunks and possums, in addition to keeping a close eye on our outdoor cats Fiend and Archie. (I know. Varmints. Can you say soft hearted? I'm the walking dictionary of it.) So far we're all okay, but whew, it's been hot. Especially since...
+ On Sunday, our a/c died. Tom MacGyvered it after 24 hours of 90+ degrees in the house, but we're looking at replacing it. Our internet service has also been intermittent, but seems to be back now that temps have cooled somewhat. (Today it's only 90! Whee! Break out the sweaters!)
+ Fiend was in another fight which left his head an infected mess, prompting a trip to the emergency vet at 9 pm on Monday night. For being such an ornery cuss, he's amazingly docile when at the vet; he's also taking his liquid antibiotic like a champ, and his head is healing well. Poor little guy.

So. Kinda intense for a holiday weekend. But hey, there's knitting to be done, right? Too bad I don't have much to show you. But look! Over there! Is that a sock yarn club kit I see?!

Why yes, it is. This is the first installment of the Yarn Tree's A Sock for All Seasons Yarn Club. And while my photos are decidedly lo-fi, the club is anything but! Our first yarn is Schaefer Anne in this groovy autumnal colorway. Also included is this reversible project bag, a sock pattern designed by Rachel DeNys named Falling Lace Sock, as well as Yarn Tree's Basic Sock Pattern, a handmade Brittany cable needle, a how-to DVD and a brief history of Schaefer Yarn. Score!

Local knitsters Jillian and Jerry are also in this club, and Jillian has a nice write up about the club here.

As for knitting, my stealth project is finished, though it still needs to be blocked. It qualifies as my first FO for Single Skein September. Speaking of SSS - Liz has started SSS groups on Ravelry and Flickr, and it'd be great if you joined us in using up those odd balls in your stash.

For my second SSS project, today I cast on the first of my Campfire Socks. Each will use a skein of Artyarns Ultramerino 8, so I'm hoping they qualify. I also want to knit some hats, but have to hit the LYS for some needles first. (Out of all the needles I have, how can I not have a US 8 16" circ? It's vexing.) And Fetchings. Would you believe I've never made a pair? About time, isn't it? I love fingerless gloves, and have two balls of black Cashmerino Aran earmarked. Not sure if I'll get to all these small projects, but they're certainly the perfect hot weather knitting!

10 comments:

mehitabel said...

Glad to hear that Buddyfiend is doing better! Poor little guy! I havent' been putting out water for the varmints, but then I've been watering my yard pretty heavily and there are a couple of containers that fill up every time I water, so they do have fresh water. Yeah, sucker too. Plus the visiting cats. I s houldn't encourage them, since they drive Padua crazy and lead to things like him tearing out the screen door to get to them!

jillian said...

Oh yeah - that's right. It was a holiday weekend, huh? Forgot in all the heat and stuff. Poor Fiend - glad to hear he's healing OK! Love your bag :)

Annette said...

Yay, Campfire Socks! I love those colors. Fun stuff from the sock club. I'm glad Fiend is doing okay. Astonishing that he takes his medicine so easily. Stay cool!

mary said...

Hot hot hot but not not not anymore! Not sure I'm gonna do SSS this time around because I'm loving Ariann right now!

Debi said...

Great bag, sock yarn and accoutrements - sounds like a great sock club! Of course I just finished inventorying my sock yarn stash and lets just say I could knit a sock a month for TWENTY FIVE YEARS without having to buy more!! So I live vicariously thru you Madge :)

Anonymous said...

Man, you guys are suffering down there. I keep seeing the news and hoping you all are keeping cool. It is so cute that you keep water out for the skunks and possums, sounds like something I would do.

That sock club ROCKS! Schaefer Anne!! WOW.

Look at you go on the SSS, woohoo for stash busting.

Anonymous said...

Woah, a heatwave! Here, we're having a snow chaos in the mountains and half of Austria is flooded - could you perhaps send a bit of your warmth over to us, pretty pleeze? ;(
I'm so glad to hear that poor Fiend is doing better - all the best to him!
I love your bag by the way, yummy!

RoxyK said...

Hope things are a little cooler for your now! You're so kind leaving out water for the wild furries ;)

Poor Fiend. At least he's recovering well.

What a fab sock kit! I have enough trouble trying to keep with the STR kits LOL!

And you've had internet problems too - hope its not catching......

I was all set to join the SSS but with all thats going on I'll have to give it a miss. I've never made Fetchings either!

Becka said...

Poor kitty...you are a good Mama to your furry babes!
OMGoodness, your a/c went out...OUCH! Our's did last year in the middle of summer and it was horrible, but, of course, Lonnie fixed it!
I LOVE SCHAEFFER ANNE...yummilicious sock yarn there, honey! Have fun!
Oh, I have the same Artyarns colorway for socks! love it!

Curly Cable said...

Sorry, I somehow missed this post, Hope the weather cooled down, and good on you for leaving water out for little furry creatures. Naughty Fiend for getting into a fight like that, I hope the cheeky little munchkin's wound has now complety healed. I love your first SSS kit, the Schaefer Anne yarn is excuistive and I love your bag.