Monday, October 29, 2007

Revvin' Up for Halloween

On Saturday Tom and I, along with our friends Laura, Carol and Holly, hit the 8th annual Festival de la Gente in East Los Angeles.

A pre-Dias de los Muertos street fair, it included music, altars...

a classic hot rod show...

...and skulls as far as the eye could see!

It also provided me the chance to give Laura the two scarves I recently knit her to replace the stolen Bruise.

Pattern: Chevron Scarf from Last Minute Knitted Gifts (AKA Bruiser)
Yarn: La Petite Knitterie Hand Painted Merino in colors 324C and 824 - 1 skein each
Needle: US 5
Mods: None
Rating: 17 billion Chevrons can't be wrong

It was enjoyable being part of the Chevron Scarf phenomena. I probably spent hours perusing Ravelry and the Flickr group checking out all the lovely permutations. The pattern itself? Mind numbingly boring. Initially I was going to use two skeins of each color and make a longer scarf - this version is roughly 45" long - but quickly realized I'd rather chew my left hand off than continue knitting it after I used up the first of the two skeins. So instead, Laura received a throat warmer sized scarf, and I get to keep my left hand...what I call a win-win.

For her second scarf, I wanted to make her something luxurious in her favorite color. I've been hoping for an excuse to try Seasilk, and when I saw this subtle semi-solid blue colorway, I knew now was the time.

Pattern: Montego Bay Scarf from Summer 2007 issue of Interweave Knits
Yarn: Handmaiden Seasilk in Polar Sea - 1 skein (bought from Tidal Brook Yarns on eBay)
Needle: US6
Mods: Omitted the fringe
Rating: Proud to be a Seasilk virgin no longer

The stitches literally dripped off my needles, pooling into a beautiful scarf. I thought the fringe the pattern called for was a waste of good yarn, so I added a few rows of garter stitch to the ends and just kept knitting until my skein was used up. An understated, lovely project in a to die for yarn. Good knittin'!

12 comments:

Jodi said...

Both scarves are absolutely gorgeous! Glad your left hand is still intact. :-)

jillian said...

I thought I was going to chew off my hand on the Montego Bay! Glad yours was fun. It's gorgeous and so is your Chevron.

Debi said...

Exactly why there is little scarf knitting here at Casa de Fluffy :)

Your scarves are lovely tho, that blue one looks almost liquid!

mary said...

I'm quite behind in the chevron scarf action and it's good to know ahead of time it's mind numbingly boring. Maybe if I use cashmere, the fiber will lull me into some state of knitting zen? Yeah right. Both are gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

OMG!! such scarfy goodness! LOVE the Bruise and that Montego Bay!! Awesome.

And you know what I think about skulls.....ROCK!

RoxyK said...

OMG will you look at those cars! I am sooo jealous.

The scarves are both gorgeous and so glad you managed to keep your left hand ;)

Liz K. said...

Um, I lost my scarf, too!

Just kidding. Those are both gorgeous! I'm still a SeaSilk virgin, but plan on popping that cherry ASAP.

LotusKnits said...

Your scarves are gorgeous! And all those skulls! *swoon*

xoxo

Ellen Bloom said...

The Festival looked like fun! I wish we had gone. You have plenty of photos for the "Skull-a-Day" site!

Both scarves are positively gorgeous!!! That Seasilk is delicious.

Macoco said...

Your friend is so lucky to receive two beautiful scarves such as those. I'm glad that you finished them and are still fully-limbed.

kat coyle said...

awesome car shot~we'll have to go to the festival next year.

Octopus Knits said...

Both scarves are really lovely - and I'm glad your hand is safe! The festival looks like fun. Thanks for the pics : )