Friday, August 24, 2007

Purple Haze

It's unprecedented, but I've been knitting with aubergine like a madwoman lately. Check it out:

Felted Bag

Pattern: Felted Bag from Home by Debbie Bliss
Yarn: Debbie Bliss Alpaca Silk in color 12 - 6 and a smidge balls
Needles: US 8 24" Addi circs
Mods: None
Rating: 5 out of 5 atomic starbursts

I'm a big fan of 1950s moderne design. The clean lines, the organic shapes, the sense of whimsy - whether in a Richard Neutra house or a Russel Wright dish - delight me. I find the same enjoyment with this simple felted bag.

These little handles, dainty in comparison to the bulk of the bag below, give it that extra something, turning it into a whimsical, practical creation. And I don't know if you can see it in the photos, but the silk gives the bag an understated, proto-boucle texture. Nifty.

Gothic Leaf

After taking a little break, I need to get back to this enjoyable knit. I've begun my second skein of Euroflax, and she's roughly 24" long. This project is really hard to photograph well, but here's a close up showing the silly linen stitches.

Chevron Scarf aka The Bruiser

Thanks for all your comments about this here color combination. Everyone was in favor of it, so I've kept knitting. However. I think it looks like a bruise. Which is perfect, because I can give it to my BFF Laura. (Hi, Laura!) A few years ago I wanted to make her a scarf, so I asked what color she wanted it to be. Ever the smarty, she responded, "Bruise." Amazingly enough, I found some Colinette Point 5 that looked exactly like a bruise - mustard, rust, purple, red and turquoise - and knit her this funky long scarf we nicknamed The Bruise. Well, a few months ago some loser at her work stole The Bruise, which was totally lame.

But, now I've got The Bruiser a quarter of the way finished! This is a fun, quick knit, and I can see why people are so gaga over this pattern; already I'm thinking up different color combos to try once The Bruiser is living with Laura.

18 comments:

mary said...

Bruise rocks, and so do the other purple pretties. Funny how that aubergine bag looks so magenta in the picture.

Debi said...

so much pretty purple here! Love your new bag and I thing the scarf is great!

Liz K. said...

Bruise! Ha! Although I don't think your chevvie looks like a bruise. I think it looks like a blueberry/grape confection. Yum!

Ellen Bloom said...

Separated at birth? Yes, as you know I'm a big moderne fan myself...30's, 40's and 50's! We're go to the PS Museum next week to see the Russell Wright Exhibit. We'll be staying inside the entire time in that broiling city!

LOVE The Bruiser. High contrast gets me every time. Purple is the new black.

LotusKnits said...

Whee! Purple! Hehe.

I love the bag (and your links...*drool*), and I think that the scarf looks like a funky wine concoction. If she doesn't want a Bruiser, you could call it Wino! Hehe.

Anonymous said...

ummmmm all that purple makes me very happy!! Love the bag, and GL inspires me to drag mine out of the WIP basket.

The Bruise reincarnated is fabulous. How does getting your knitted item stolen make you feel? I would be torn between pissed and "wow, my stuff is good enough to steal!"

Anonymous said...

I love that bag! Everything about it--the color, the handles, the texture--is perfect. Very nice :)

RoxyK said...

Wow another felted bag! You're starting to make me look bad lol!

Your scarf is looking very lush indeed. Shame the previous scarf in Point 5 got stolen - I *love* Point 5 ;)

jillian said...

Someone stole a handknit!! Wow, that is lame. It does sort of look like a bruise - hee.

Now we have kinda-matching bags :) Love it! It is a great pattern - I never noticed the mid-century modern aspect of it and you are absolutely right!

Anonymous said...

I so love aubergine colors in all shades and variations, so these pics sure were a feast for the eyes! Very, very beautiful - your new bag rocks big time, and I think the shawl is so gorgeous too!

Lindy said...

Stealing someone's handknit scarf? Now thats just plain EVIL!

Octopus Knits said...

I too love The Bruiser! You are knitting with a lot of purple lately! The bag is lovely (I like the proto-boucle texture) and gothic leaf is coming along nicely.

mehitabel said...

Are you sure you're not channeling my purple-besotted daughter Debby? I know the feeling, though--sometimes it seems as if everything I touch is the same colors! CPH is dark red; Birch is dark red...yeah, and both are languishing. Oh well.
And I remember too well what moderne was like when it was new... ah, nostalgia!

Gina said...

Oh my goodness! Hooray for madwoman!! I love your new stuff. The top bag is a colorful dream, the second is elaborately beautiful. You are really a talent!

Annette said...

Your friend is going to love The Bruiser! I'm becoming a fan of aubergine myself. Especially after seeing all of your fun pictures. I love how the DB alpaca silk felted. It looks like it has great texture.

Unknown said...

Oh my, someone stole it, how awful. This one is lovely though and she is a very lucky friend.

Curly Cable said...

What a lovely bag, I love the colour and the handles are so neat and cute. Your shawl is so pretty and so is your scarf, you really do make the most beautiful things, absolutely gorgeous all of them.

Anonymous said...

The Bruiser! Perfect name, I love it! I'm a fan of mid-century design, too. Such a cute bag! And, Gothic Leaf is coming along great. :)