Sunday, February 10, 2008

Conforming

Pattern: Unoriginal Hat by Yarn Harlot
Yarn: Blue Moon Fiber Arts Leticia in Hard Rock - 1 skein
Needles: US 11 Takumi dpns
Mods: None
Rating: Quickies can be satisfying

It was the night before the Super Bowl. Craving an easy knit, I cast on for Mission: Possible 2008 goal # 9, aka Yarn Harlot's Unoriginal Hat. The next day, sometime during the game, I cast off. All told, maybe 2 hours of knitting. The dpns slowed me down, and confirmed that in the circs vs. dpns debate for hat knitting I'm a circs girl all the way.

Before knitting, I perused Ravelry to see what people said about the pattern. There were several mentions of running out of yarn, and, when knitting on size US 10 1/2, of the hat turning out too small. So I bumped up to US 11, and felt like Scrooge as I suspiciously watched my yarn slither from ball to needles. Well. I shouldn't have worried. I had yarn to spare. And a hat that was huge on me. Luckily, it fit better on Mary - it's her noggin in the photo - and she graciously took it off my hands.

I have another skein of Leticia in Ravenscroft earmarked for another Unoriginal. Dunno, I might just use it to make a simple 2x2 ribbed hat instead. Or, if I do feel the need to blend in again, I'll go down to a US 10 1/2 and, depending on sizing, maybe only do one repeat of the pattern . 'Coz I do love me that Ravenscroft in all its dark, brooding wonderfulness.

Other knitting continues apace. Gothic Leaf is done (finally!) except for weaving in the ends and blocking. I've begun Cobblestone v. 2.0. I've gone up two sizes, and am roughly 3" into the body. I'm still loving the yarn, and the stockinette is very soothing. I've successfully controlled my urges about casting on Lenore, and will begin them on the 15th. Lenore is the next KAL my knitting group is doing this year, and the 15th is our official start date.

I'm also casting about for some good plane knitting, so if you have any ideas, please let me know. Unfortunately, Tom and I need to attend to some sad family business out of town this week, so I'll be away from a computer from Tuesday until we return late Thursday. See ya when we get back.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that hat.....Leticia really is the yarn for this pattern. That Ravenscroft will look good in any thing you decide to do.

Tell Mary there's a benefit to having a freakishly large head......you get hats that don't fit your normal sized head friends.

Can't wait to see Gothic all blocked and done!!

Carson said...

sorry to hear about the sad business.
Plane knitting...hmm...I'm thinking actually another hat would be perfect

Anonymous said...

Sounds like your knitting muse is working at full tilt!! Can't wait to see Gothic Leaf, and I love that hat!! Glad you started Cobblestone again, maybe it'll get me to get me own sorry arse in gear with it..(poor Kev) ;P

I'm sorry to hear about your sad news. I hope you guys are doing alright given the circumstances, and have a safe trip, okay? We'll keep you in our thoughts and hope you are doing well soon. :) *BIG HUGS*

Macoco said...

I'm sorry that there's some sad news in your household.

I do love that hat - those pink and grays together are beautiful.

jillian said...

Sorry to hear you have sad news. Actually Cobblestone seems like excellent plant knitting :)

Great hat!

LotusKnits said...

*hugs* Sorry to hear about 'sad family news'.

I do love your hat though and I think another one in the Raven series yarn will be awesomeness.

Have a safe trip!

kgirlknits said...

liking that hat!

I've got a skein of that colourway stashed for some socks later in the year, when Melbourne weather gets all dark and broody...just the way we like it!

RoxyK said...

Sorry to hear about the sad business.

I always take socks to knit on planes. Super portable!

Totally love the hat yarn.....I couldn't of given it away I'm afraid ;)

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear about the sad family business you need to tend to. Take care. We'll be here when you get back.

Annette said...

I'm lovin' that Leticia yarn. I might have to score some for myself in the near future. Mary's new hat rocks! Make sure you keep the Ravenscroft for yourself, okay? It's purdy.

Octopus Knits said...

The hat is great - too bad it doesn't fit you, but I'm sure Mary doesn't mind!
Sorry to hear about the sad news... Travel safely.

cher said...

I want some of that hat yarn! I went to the link and the colors were just too overwhelming. I've promised myself(and my spouse)that I wouldn't purchase anything until Stitches West is over. Last year I spent a lot of time looking, this year I want to buy,buy,buy!
Hope your trip went well! *HUGS*

Anonymous said...

Aww I can't believe it doesn't fit! It it really such an awesome hat. The Ravenscroft colorway will be gorgeous as well, no matter what pattern you make with it!

Nellie said...

The unoriginal hat looks great! Makes me wish I lived in a cold enough climate to wear one. Looking forward to the unveilling of Gothic.