Saturday, September 23, 2006

A Good Deal

Taped to the yellow Formica table that serves as my desk is a fortune cookie fortune from some long forgotten restaurant. It reads, "You will find a real bargain." The tape which holds it down is frayed around the edges, and dull from me running my finger over it. This everyday talisman is the truest fortune I've ever gotten, because indeed, I do like a good deal.

I began haunting thrift stores and antique malls in my teens, and they played a fun and wacky part in my life until several years ago, when the homogeneous effect of eBay dried up the flow of donated merchandise. In fact, thrifting was a big part of Tom's and my early life together. We'd scour the Salvation Armies and St. Vinnys for tiki mugs and exotica LPs, California pottery and funky 50s lamps, hot rod novels and vintage clothes.

We'd wind up dusty and breathless from laughing, our loot clutched in our hands as we made our way out the door with slices of other people's lives that were now part of ours. We had our rules - Never pay more than a dollar for a tiki mug. The pottery can't be chipped or cracked. The records must play, no matter how cool the cover artwork. If you ever see vintage microphones or bakelite radios in good shape, buy them. - and we had some very interesting conversations with the customers and checkout clerks.


Nowadays, we'll visit a flea market once in a while, but for the most part our thrifting days are over. My love of a deal still exists, however, especially for yarn and knitting tools of the trade. And, like the dollar tiki mug, they're out there, if you know where to look...like this one for the Kool-Aid dyers in the audience. Five for a buck at Vons this week!

5 comments:

mary said...

Inquiring minds want to know... does More How to Strip for your Husband really work? I'd like a full written review from you on your opinion of the work. ;)

Lady Misty Morn said...

I 2nd Mary, how does More How to strip foor your husband really work? Sounds like a future blog entry ;)

Annette said...

I 3rd that! LOL-Sounds like good knitting conversation. Thanks for the tip on the Kool-Aid. I do have all that undyed yarn in my stash...I might have to make a trip to Vons.

Anonymous said...

Madge, As the woman who first introduced Madge to 'thrifting', only then it was called shopping second hand, I can testify that the woman does like a bargain and what's more, she finds them. Have her tell you about Greenville, Michigan and the Goodwill, As Is bins in Medford.

mehitabel said...

Flea markets are fun--my husband used to haunt the PCC one, and often the one in Long Beach too. That's how we wound up with dozens of punchbowls and over 3500 pieces of Depression glass. So I guess tiki mugs aren't quite as bad...At least, he never minded my fabric and yarn, since he had glass.