Saturday, September 16, 2006

The Rule of Five

Five is a good solid number. Halfway between one and ten, it feels dependable, but also like it's going somewhere, like it has plans to be a bigger number someday. You see fives in nature - the senses, the points of starfish, the digits on hands and feet. Some people say there are five elements - earth, air, fire, water and spirit. Others say, "Hey, wasn't The Fifth Element that wacky sci-fi film with Bruce Willis and the great costumes by Jean-Paul Gaultier?"

In my life, five is the number of citrus trees in my backyard, the number of my husband's siblings, the number of cats with whom we once shared our home. It's also the number of knitting projects I work on at any one time. 'Cause I'll be frank. I'm one of those people who needs structure and guidelines. If I didn't set a limit, I'd run around willy-nilly and never finish a thing. Five is good for me. It doesn't allow me to be bored, and it keeps me from casting on every ball of yarn I've ever purchased.

That being said, the Rule of Five is a loose guideline. Often I fudge, and have six or even seven (gasp) projects going. Often I don't include projects that are done except for the blocking or sewing up, since I'm very zen about finishing stuff.

But for once I'm (nearly) following the rules. First off, I have two mystery projects which I cannot tell you about, so we'll ignore those for the time being. So, coming in at number three we have...

#3: Lala Scarf by Kat Coyle (from Greetings from Knit Cafe) in Rowan Kid Silk Haze Color Wicked

Status: Super quick knit (yeah, I know, I haven't gotten to the picot edging), but it's boring me to tears. Currently living in the bottom of my yarn closet with...


#4: My first attempt at knitting a sock in squeaky red Encore Worsted. While part of me longs to be a sock knitter, I'm forced to face the fact that right now might not be the time to learn. So, the sock lies abandoned for...

#5: Hanging Garden Lace Stole by Sivia Harding in Lorna's Laces Helen's Lace Color Charcoal

Status: The love of my knitting life. I'm enchanted. Utterly. It's gonna take me seventeen bazillion years to finish, but I just look at it and feel like I'm a grown-up real knitter.

#6: Pumpkin bowls ready for felting. Knit in Knit Picks Wool of the Andes Colors Carrot and Evergreen.

Isn't it almost time to hit the stash and start swatching?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Madge,
You go girl
Five is the number of letters in my first and middle name,the number of cats I still have and by the time you read this the number of days since our last visit.
Carol is crocheting here in Mexico.

Lady Misty Morn said...

5 is an awesome number, I'm partial to the number 5 having the pleasure of being born on the 15 day of the 5th month, having been married on the 15th , and having had my first date with my husband on yet another 15th. Gee, it keeps falling into my life. I'm sure if I looked around I'd find far more 5's.

My only question is the black, black hole sweater counted in your 5, or is it in long term time out? LOL.

Anonymous said...

The Hanging Garden Stole is going to be gorgeous. I am so impressed, and I have a little question for you. About the socks......... after what you are doing on the Stole, the socks should be a piece of cake for you. Pleeeze try again with me? LOL

mary said...

5... what can I say? 5 scoops of ice cream I can easily eat. 5 pieces of chocolate are the minimum at each sitting. 5 balls of yarn minimum to buy at a time. 5 WIPs goes without saying. My birthday is on the 5th, so I can have 5 pieces of cake on that day! I love your writing style. Blog on knit sister!

mehitabel said...

Okay, I'll join the 5 game. I have 5 daughters, had 5 cats until last year--waiting for another one to join us, we seem to always have 5!--my birthday this year will end in 5, I have 5 x2 grandkids, five projects OTN (I think--shawl, peapod, Birch, Mystic, and a pink fuzzy sweater in time out), and 5 books on my computer desk (two knitting and 3 I'm reviewing). I could probably find more but now I'm even boring myself ;-}