Sunday, September 24, 2006

Harvest


Pattern: Felted Pumpkin Basket from Because I Felt Like It (available here)
Yarn: Knit Picks Wool of the Andes in Carrot and Evergreen
Needles: Addi US 13 16" circs
Modifications: I left off the brown handle called for in the pattern. I also added a leaf and a curly vine.
Rating: 4 out of 5 balls of your favorite 100% wool. It's a great pattern for an advanced beginner to learn new skills. It also may be adapted to make all sorts of other bowls/baskets, which is very handy indeed.

Last October I took a class on how to make this basket at a nearby LYS. The class was a great learning experience, as I'd never felted before. Or used DPNs. Or made i-cord. Delighted at adding these new skills to my knittin' repertoire, I cranked out five of these fruits in various permutations - some had handles, some didn't; some were large, some small; some were round and squat, some taller - for friends and family (hi Mom!) last fall. This year, as my thoughts turned to autumn a few weeks ago, I realized I didn't have one for myself. So, I pulled out the leftover yarn, got busy with this easy peasy project and voila!

Hungry for more Cucurbita pepo? Patterns may be found here, here (a cute pincushion) and here.

7 comments:

jillian said...

So cute!!

mehitabel said...

Are you allowed to knit pumpkins with carrot-colored yarn?? I thought you could only use pumpkin-color! (Ok, ducking and running here!)

Lady Misty Morn said...

They are adorable despite what the other marie says, I like the carrot color.

Ellen Bloom said...

The baskets are extremely cool. These would make excellent gifts!

Annette said...

Ooing and awing here. Those came out great! I've been wanting to make the pumpkins from Knitty. Now I want to make them more!

mary said...

Oooh, pumpkin-y! Hey that's 2 of them. What are you going to do with the extra? ;)

Anonymous said...

Cool, they match my hair---carrot top LOL Thank goodness I lost that nickname. How did you get them so perfectly round?