Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Jayne Hat

To round off and finish up the Buffy/Angel/Firefly jag I've been on, I tracked down a photo of my good buddy DD (fellow Buffy fan and co-owner of the infamous Wax Trax Records - if you're ever in Denver go check 'em out) trying on (see the gift tag still attached?) the Jayne hat I made him last winter. Cunning, eh?

Pattern: Jayne hat from the television series Firefly, episode The Message; available as a kit here or a pattern here, here
Yarn: Lamb's Pride Bulky in Autumn Harvest, Sunburst Gold and Rust
Needles: US 10 1/2 16" circs (Addis) and dpns
Mods: For the earflap decreases I subbed ssk's on one side. Also changed something else about how I did the earflaps - maybe how I picked up stitches? - but don't really remember now
Rating: 5 by 5

Call me a total dork, but this project was fun. I was so lazy I just bought the kit from Heather - I think the deciding factor was she even makes the pompom for you - and whipped it up in an evening. This is the first - and probably? hopefully? the last - time I've ever knit clothing from a tv series. Kinda surreal, especially after I googled and saw how many Jayne hats are out there. But fun. See? Dork.

6 comments:

Carson said...

OK, you're a dork! Heh, just kidding.
Seriously how come that's the last one? I love it...I think the knitblog sub-genre of Cinematic/TV Knits is a fine and noble one.

Jaeger/Jaggerspun..*slapping forehead* I must be dyslexic.

And I'm glad I could bring back some pleasant memories (maybe not so pleasant ones of the stinging ants!) about your mango tree.

Anonymous said...

hahaha. 5 by 5. what the hell does that mean anyway?

mary said...

B*tchin' hat! I don't think you should stop knitting designs inspired by TV/film. 'Cuz you know as soon as I see a good Bruce Lee knitted design out there, I'm all over it. Just sayin'

mehitabel said...

There's a whole slew of TV-show-inspired knitting out there. I do think the Jayne hat is the best of the bunch...or did you just pick it cause it's orange?? Seriously, I'd have bought the kit too, just to have someone else make the pompom!

jillian said...

That's a very authentic Jayne hat! I remember thinking it was nifty that knitters jumped right in and figured out a pattern. 5by5 - ha. Did they every explain that?

BTW, I used to go to a Wax Trax record store in Chicago!

Anonymous said...

OOOOOoooo!!! Lovin' the Jayne hat!! I can't believe I haven't knit one yet.
I don't think it makes you a dork! Heck, look how many people out there knitted the Dr. Who scarf or the Harry Potter sweater...and THEY weren't dorks now were they? *grin*
I think I'm gonna have to go buy me some yarn and make me a Jayne Cobb. Yay!