Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Where's My Aluminum Foil Hat?

Crafting Morrighana has a contest running right now, and last week I decided I'd participate. Easy, I thought. All you have to do is count how many balls of yarn you have. That won't take any time at all. It's not like I have a lot or anything.

Cue to this afternoon. I dragged out my tubs o' yarn and began tallying.

After 2 hours it became clear that reality is a little different than my understanding of it. How? Well, after counting, and counting, and counting, and then rechecking my numbers twice, I learned that I have 600 skeins/balls/hanks of yarn. Six hundred. Most of which were purchased over the last three years. Kinda mindblowing.

It must be aliens. They're totally messing with me. There's been no bright lights, or time standing still, or any of the other, er, less pleasant side effects linked with alien visitation, but how else to explain that huge number?

Yep, aliens. With some sort of mind control device, that clicks on whenever I visit a yarn store. That must be what's going on. Now, please excuse me while I go check for data chip implants.

10 comments:

CatBookMom said...

600, huh? Good for you! Ahem. We will not discuss the number that would be arrived at should I foolishly try to do that counting thing here at Chez CBM. And yet, more yarn keeps arriving, due to knitter's insanity and fiber addictions.

Blessings!

Anonymous said...

WOW! You pack on the stash and wear it well :). There is no way I could currently inventory my entire stash, since right now I don't have access to it in it's entirety.

mary said...

I'm going to put on my aluminum foil hat and pretend that I only have less than 300. No tubs full of yarn for me, just big Ziploc XXL bags under the bed. Was stash diving a lot of fun? I'm so proud that you actually broke it all out and counted!

jillian said...

Oh joy. You have more yarn than me. :) My problem is selective memory of what I already have when hit with a yarn sale!

Anonymous said...

Um, I guess I'd have to say, you're not in my league. Sorry. I have about 3 times that many tubs. I'm not counting them. I'm not, I'm not, I'm not! And she can't make me...

Annette said...

You put me to shame. I only have 3 large bins. And a few bags here and there. I'm impressed that you actually counted them all. Twice! I bet it was fun rediscovering what you have.

Anonymous said...

i'm to worried to count my yarn. it's up there. you might have me beat though.

i've noticed that since i've been selling my own yarn i don't buy as much as i used to. i'm too exhausted from working in my sweatshop to take a shower and drive to the LYS.

Anonymous said...

Okay, I've done it--set up my Yarn Management and Containment plan. It's all your fault! Well, not really; but if it works, you'll get the credit...

Anonymous said...

numbers of balls mean very little in my case... my aunt today gave me back 4 cones ... of 2-ply ... totalling around 8 lbs!
and my stash hardly noticed its addition
I'm doomed

Unknown said...

Wow, 600, when you put it like that......

But, hey, I'm envious.