Saturday, December 30, 2006

Mambo, Baby, Mambo

The last days of 2006 linger, like a snippet of song heard from the car next to yours, left floating on the breeze as the light changes and the car moves off. The tune stays in your head, though, even as you move forward, delighting in the promise of a new year.

For me, knitting-wise, this year's tune has been a Cal Tjader mambo. Upbeat, lively, its percussion got my fingers moving and its vibes added soul to every stitch I made. Here are the highlights:

1. The Knitting Olympics - What a blast to connect with other knitters around the world and learn a new technique at the same time. Several of the women in my knitting group also participated; three of us learned to knit lace by making knitty's Branching Out scarf.

2. Intarsia - Another new technique learned by joining the Wobbly Circles Tote KAL in the spring. The KAL itself was lackluster, but the framework it provided kept me motivated to finish this behemoth of a felted bag. (Seriously, the thing turned out huge.) It also made me realize that I can spend the rest of my knitting life not doing another intarsia project and that will be just fine.

3. Lace - After finishing my Branching Out scarf, I discovered I was addicted to lace. Casting around this summer, I found Sivia Harding's Yahoo group, joined up and participated in their ongoing Diamond Fantasy Shawl KAL. Sivia actively participates on the list, and responds to almost every post. The other knitters share wonderful tips, there are great FAQs pages for newbie lacers like moi, and Sivia's patterns are well written and easy to do. A fantastic experience all around.

This fall I also joined the Lacevember KAL, which was also a great KAL. Already I'm looking forward to next year.

4. Knitdevil - After six months (!) of hemming and hawing, I finally began blogging in September. Now I can't believe I didn't do it earlier, as it's become such a big part of my knitting world. And friends - thanks for reading, leaving comments, and enriching my life. It's good to know ya.

5. Pasadena Daytimers SnB - While our knitting group disbanded this fall, it was great fun while it lasted. I learned a lot and laughed even more. Thanks, knitsisters.


A few other musical notes - I finished my first adult sweater, and am tickled that it fits me. I'm learning how to make socks. I'm over my Kid Silk Haze crush. I knit a bunch of stuff for my sister and a poncho for my niece. I learned how to dye with Kool Aid. I tallied up my stash, and realized I have way too much Jo Sharp Kid Comfort but not nearly enough worsted weight wool. I bought a spinning wheel. My one UFO from this year is a Jess Hutch toy; all it needs is its arms and legs. I fell in love with handdyed sock yarn. I swatched for five sweaters, and none of them worked out well enough for me to start knitting them. Felting is comforting. I crocheted a baby blanket.

And now, time to move on. Happy 2007! May the music it brings be your favorite song.

5 comments:

mary said...

Wow, that is one HUGE final score! Madge and knitting make a great team. I'm glad to have connected with you in 2006, knitsister!

jillian said...

What a wonderful summary! You had a great knitty year - may 2007 top it!

Annette said...

2006 was a great knitting year for you (and me too)! You took your knitting to a new (very impressive) level. I'm in awe of your lacework. And I'm so glad we met and shared good times...cheers to more in the new year!

p.s. I LOVE your Wobbly Tote!

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful year's worth of projects and accomplishments! Even making unsatisfactory swatches is a great accomplishment--you're learning something from every one! So here's to another year of happy knitting and enabling!

Fay Lynn said...

It is fun to look at what you have done. Love the bag. One of the few I have seen totaly finished!!

Take stock sure makes you feel like knitting allows you to accomplish a lot!