Monday, August 13, 2007

Screaming Meme

Beth has tagged me for the 8 Random Facts meme. While my list shan't top hers (go go dancer! cigarette girl!), I'll give it my best.

1. I once drank next to Joe Strummer in an Edinburgh pub. Post-Clash, pre-Mescaleros, he was busking around the UK, playing impromptu gigs wherever and whenever he felt like it. I was at the pub, waiting for my friends to arrive for the show, drinking a pint of cider. Three guys in flashy leathers walked in, and I remember thinking, What poseurs. They stood next to me, and one tried to talk to me. I ignored him, thinking, This overdressed lame-o is trying to chat me up? Puhleeze. My friends arrived, and I moved away from the bar; only when someone asked me what Joe said to me did I realize who it was. (I never recognize celebrities in Los Angeles, either.)

2. I've studied and read tarot cards since I was 17.

3. I can quote many lines from Zorro the Gay Blade, Grosse Point Blank and Repo Man. And The Big Liebowski. I'm not sure what this says about me.

4. My love for Johnny Cash is pure and true.

5. Three friends and I once drove from Denver, Colorado, to Lawrence, Kansas, to see our friends and favorite local band, the Fluid, play. This was immediately after seeing them play a record-release gig for a new album. After the Lawrence show the three of us talked the other friend out of trying to find William S. Burroughs' house, piled back in the car and drove home. Roughly 1,100 miles round trip, I have no memory of if we ate anything, but I do remember the show was held in a converted bomb shelter.

6. Georges Jacques Danton was a childhood hero.

7. I learned to knit for the first time when I was six. My maternal grandmother taught me.

8. I love cilantro.

Tag free zone, but if you wanna, go for it.

12 comments:

jillian said...

Hmmmmm...verrry interesting.

Liz K. said...

Ok, we seriously are cosmic twins.

We almost named our son John Cash, because when I first started dating my husband, I was in a serious Johnny Cash phase (12 years later, I'm still there) and it was our make-our music. My son says things like, "Johnny Cash has been everywhere!" at preschool, and my daughter knows all the words to Ring of Fire.

I LOVE Johnny.

beth/ fresh noodle said...

That Danton guy sounds interesting! CHILDHOOD hero? Wow, you've always been...well, you! Lawrence Kansas ia a cool place, It's this special liberal enclave. If I move back to K.C. that would be the only place I could truly LIVE! No wonder home values are so high there! Johhny AND June were amazing people. You're 8 random things...you've done me proud!

Anonymous said...

These are always so fun to read! very cool about the tarot bit!

Carson said...

Joe Strummer?
We're not worthy!! ;)
The film/doco about him is being released here soon; can't wait.
I can - and do- quote many lines from Millers Crossing another Coen Bros film ;)
And...did you find Burroughs' house?

Anonymous said...

Love love love Joe Strummer. Might even like the Mescaleros more than the Clash, although I've been stuck in a punk/post-punk retrospective for several years now. The husband and I even celebrate (memorialize anyway) Joe Strummer's birthday every year - it's next week!

mehitabel said...

Ok, you and Beth seriously outclass me in the awesomeness department! I'm not worthy to sit and knit next to you...

mary said...

8 more reasons why I am amazed you are my friend, because you are waaaaaay cooler than I.

Anonymous said...

FASCINATING!

BTW, Big Lebowski and Gross Point Blank, two of my favorite movies!! That rub really did tie the room together.....

Ellen Bloom said...

No wonder you're such a fascinating and surprising person!

LotusKnits said...

Hey I'm a tarot geek too!

I <3 Ring of Fire (but the Social D version, sorry) and I loved Walk the Line.

(p.s. I meant to say all that when you first posted...dunno where the time or my head went. must go find them both.)

Debi said...

Train in Vain is my all time favorite song ever cause the beat always moves me no matter what mood I'm in - Joe Strummer - cool!

Ring of Fire is a close second :)