Friday, January 18, 2008

Itty Bitty Cables

Pattern: Shedir from Fall 2004 Knitty
Yarn: Rowan Calmer in 481 Coffee Bean - 1 skein exactly (my fave Calmer color)
Needle: US 3 16" Addi Turbo circs
Mods: None
Rating: Tingly all over
Began: 12/31/07 Finished: 1/13/08

My first FO of 2008! As mentioned before, Shedir was chosen by my knitting group to be our first KAL of the year. Barbara, Melise, and I are the first wave of finishers, and here are our hats:

Poppa Shedir is Melise's red one; Momma Shedir is Barbara's blue one; Baby Shedir is my brown one

I must confess that the chart intimidated me when I first looked at it. But, once I dove in, the pattern was easy! Just two-stitch cable crosses. The first repeat was tough: the yarn/small needles/cabling combo hurt my left hand if I worked on it for more than three rows at a time. But, once I changed how I held the needles, furious cabling ensued.

This was the first time I've knit with Calmer, and I now know why people gush about this yarn. It's oh so soft, and warm and springy like wool. Yum. I'm glad to have more of it in stash to use again.

Now, those that know me know I'm a little OCD when it comes to mistakes in my work. They make me squirmy, and usually when I try to make them not bug me, they bug me. A lot. So, it's kinda interesting that on Shedir I made two whopping! huge! mistakes...and I didn't rip out and fix them. Both are places where I lost my cable for a few rows, and somehow purled when I should have knit. Both are on the back at the bottom, and I'm perfectly happy with them being where they are. I just love my hat!

P.S. Sorry for the crappy pictures. Tom and I both tried to get better ones, but Shedir was elusive and didn't want to be photographed. The color is most accurate in the second and fourth photos.

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

That hat looks downright cozy-fantastic! I've never tried the calmer, so I'll have to check it out after your recommendation! I hear you on the knitting mistakes...even if it won't be noticeable to anyone else, I have to fix it or it changes my opinion on the project forever...gotta love that OCD! *snicker*

LotusKnits said...

So pretty! You finished faster than I would have for sure. And I love the Calmer too, for all the same reason. Glad you have a Shedir to call your own!

Ellen Bloom said...

I am soooo impressed with the Eastside Ladies! Beautiful hats! You've almost made me want to knuckle down, follow a charted pattern and dive in. Almost.

LOVE the color of your Calmer hat.

mary said...

Squee! I love your shedir. Hopefully I'll be done in another week. Fingers crossed.

Anonymous said...

Awesome FO!!! Loving those little cables. I've seen that coffee bean color and it is FAB. Very versatile and will match lots of stuff.

The other Shedirs looks great also.....are you guys going to take a group photo when they are all finished??? (I hope!)

jillian said...

Ooooooh. Lovely! It came out perfect, purls and all!

kgirlknits said...

great hat! I'm still too intimidated to attempt Shedir, so I'm impressed ;)

mehitabel said...

Well, I got the yarn for my Shedir so I can start when I get back. I'm feeling highly intimidated by all the Shedir-knitting and finishing that's been going on while I waited for my needles and to get my yarn! (I tried to buy some Calmer when I was at Webs, but it felt so ooky in my hand I just couldn't bring myself to knit with it...)

Anonymous said...

The hat looks marvelous and I have to be honest, it looks downright intimidating..still doing scarves and basic hats here...Kudos to you!

P.S. Love Love Love ur blog..it has a special place on my favorites 8-)

Anonymous said...

I'm doing shedir in the very same color! Mine is for a friend who's doing chemo, and needs something warm for his bald head. I hope mine turns out as well as yours. You can see the WIP at my site on ravelry: carolinaninja

cher said...

Swanky Shedir! It turned out beautious. What a nice pattern, time to add it to queue!

Octopus Knits said...

Your hat is beautiful! Those little "mistakes" just give the hat a little extra character (that probably only you will notice : )

Debi said...

Gorgeous hat, minor mistakes and all! :)

Curly Cable said...

I love your Sherdir, the cables look super, and in the gorgeous Calmer too. I like the coffee bean colour, After seeing yours, I'm adding the pattern to my never ending "to do" list for sure.

jayne said...

What an adorable hat! I want one. I love those really deep browns too. I'm going to make a thorpe hat. That's about my speed these days.

PS. I goofed up the word verification, and it gave me autfw as a second try. Oh yeah, I'm autistic.

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous! I want one! Ahem.

BrownPants said...

Lovely! Great job!

Macoco said...

Loving the Shedir. I really need to make that hat.

Anonymous said...

Bravo! It's lovely! And yes, Calmer...mmm...

RoxyK said...

What a great Shedir! And isn't Calmer just so warm and light too ;)