Thursday, January 17, 2008

What a Week

I'll try to cool it with the alliteration, but whew. This week has been busy. I haven't had a chance to knit...or to nab Tom to take photos of Shedir so I can post about it. Sorry. Hopefully I'll grab him tonight and photographs will ensue. No, get your minds out of the gutter. Not those kind of photos, but nice, tasteful, knitted FO photos. Sheesh.

Fiend Update

The Fiend is well. Our regular vet saw him yesterday, and removed both the drain and the staple since he's healing so quickly. And, unless he scratches too much, the Cone of Humiliation is off for good, too. He's much happier about that. And sassier. He's growled at me once and bitten me twice today, so I'd say he's well on his way to his former psycho self.

He remains inside for another week until he's fully healed. Some of you have asked about him becoming an inside cat after this, and while we would love that, I have to say there's no chance in hell of it happening. Well, unless we kept him cooped up in our back room, and that would drive all of us mad; his meowing to go outside is already beginning to get on my last nerve.

He's the latest in a long line of strays we've adopted over the years, and I hope that the next one is a sweet furball who just curls up in my lap and purrs and never wants to go outside again. But Fiend? He's a free spirit, and prefers the wild outdoors to a warm, cushy, inside existence. Silly boy. I guess sometimes having the brain the size of a walnut is a detriment.

Queensland Kathmandu Aran Tweed

There were a couple of comments in Tuesday's post about the yarn I'm using for Tom's Cobblestone.

Katie K
said: Don't you find a lot of nasty vegetal matter in that yarn? Personally I've found it very annoying to be constantly picking it out. Also the yarn has a shaggy raggy uneven quality. Maybe only in the purple that I've been using to knit a durrow sweater.

Yes, Katie, I have been finding a lot of little pieces of vegetable matter in my yarn. But, for some reason, it hasn't bothered me. Which is kinda amazing, considering how snarky I can be about yarn. (Don't even mention Black Water Abbey 2-ply worsted in my hearing, or my head will spin around, green vomit will splatter, and I'll bore you to death with how it hurt my wittle fingers knitting with it.) I just put it down to the rustic quality of the yarn and keep on knitting. Its softness probably has a lot to do with me forgiving its shortcomings. Also, the cheap ass price I nabbed it for on Webs discount.

As to the shaggy, raggy, uneven quality: Yes, I do see this in sections of the yarn, too. Some are thinner, some are thicker, some have tweedy lumps...but the knitted fabric is pleasing to the eye and the touch, so I'm satisfied. And did I mention it was soft? I'm so easy when the yarn is soft.

Jodi said: I knit a hat out of the Kathmandu Aran Tweed, and it wasn't my favorite knitting experience. Boring pattern + too tight a gauge for the yarn = yawn. Glad to hear it's working well for Cobblestone!

Well, see, now that you mention gauge I have to 'fess up. When I swatched, I swatched with three different needle sizes (US 5, 6, 7 - hey, that's almost a band!) and the gauge was the same for each one. WTF?! Has that ever happened to you? Before washing, after washing, they were all the same. And it wasn't the pattern's recommended gauge. So. After seriously conferring with Mary, we decided the best thing to do was to fiddle. I went down a needle and a pattern size, and am saying prayers daily to the knitting goddess that our calculations were correct and shall produce the perfectly sized garment for my husband. Crazy, I know, but here's hopin'. Yeah, the yarn isn't the only thing that's soft (in the head).

The Veils

My latest musical crush.

Tomorrow

Knitting content. I swear.

9 comments:

Jodi said...

Hooray for the Fiend! Glad to hear he's on the mend.

I've never had that particular gauge issue (believe me, I've had plenty of others), but I can see how it would happen. The yarn has a nubbly texture to begin with, and its thickness varies a ton.

Debi said...

Considering how many people are tooling around with brains the size of walnuts, at least Fiend is in good company :)

mary said...

Glad Fiend is on the mend. And if Tom's sweater comes out too small, I promise to help by taking it off your hands.

Romi said...

I'm so glad the Fiend is getting better! It *has* been quite a week/month/year, hasn't it?

Anonymous said...

Glad Fiend in on the mend. It's so awesome you have taken him in to allow him to heal properly. He's a lucky kitty.

Ya know, I kinda like picking vegetation out of yarn sometimes....makes me feel all organic and such. I'm sending good gauge vibes your way for Cobblestone.

CatBookMom said...

I understand completely about the gauge thing. Happens to me frequently - just compare your Shedir and mine, and Melise's - same hat, very similar yarns, WAY different sizes.

Glad that Fiend is better; sorry that he doesn't want to be an inside kitty.

Curly Cable said...

I'm so glad to hear Fiend is on the mend, he looks such a cutie!! It a shame he won't stay indoors, but I guess he was just born to be free-spirited, he so lucky to have you and Tom to take care of him.

Good luck with Cobblestone

RoxyK said...

Glad Fiend is doing well. I like the idea of him being such a free spirit - he's so lucky to have you to look after him when he needs it :)

Meant to say I LOVE the shade of Tom's jumper. And I love organic matter in my yarn too. Feels good and earthy!

Nellie said...

I've got a fur girl who is a fighter not a lover, and she has had similar injuries. They are just awful arent they? Poor Fiend, good to hear he is recovering and has indoor manners!