Monday, April 14, 2008

Birthday Fun

This past Saturday Ellen, Jillian, Linda, Marie, Melise, MJ, Patty, and Wendy helped me celebrate my birthday in grand fashion. As usual my photo taking was sporadic and random, but Ellen has a great slide show of the day here. (The cupcake and oilcloth bag photos seen here are hers, too.)

We met at Gilbert's El Indio for lunch, and then hit the Oaxacan folk art store Artesanias Oaxaquenas to check out their oilcloth bags.

After that we went on a mini yarn crawl to Yarns Unlimited and Wild Fiber in Santa Monica. There were cupcakes. And presents. There were funny waiters who showed us their chest hair and asked for our dollars. There was plenty of yarn ogling and fondling. Someone was heard to say, "Forget merino. Go for cashmere."

Patty at the Wall of Koigu in Wild Fiber

There was even a vintage hearse sighting.

It was 90 degrees in Santa Monica, and no one passed out from heat exhaustion.

Probably the only thing that could have better was if we'd had yarn boys to carry our bags and feed us grapes; with this thought in mind I'm already brainstorming for next year.

Thanks for celebrating with me, ladies!

14 comments:

Macoco said...

Wow, it sounds like a perfect birthday! Especially the cupcakes. I have had a serious craving for cupcakes the past few days. ;)

Anonymous said...

I totally stand by the cashmere statement. In fact, when I am ruler of the universe it will be my mission statement.

hee.

jillian said...

It was a perfect day. It was such a whirlwind, I forgot many details when I went to blog it!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Way to celebrate your birthday in style, darlin'!! I am so glad to hear you had such a good time. You deserve no less. And I PROMISE it's on it's way to you. It's getting out a bit late due to some...erm unforseen knit circumstances...*snicker* (read: I got a brilliant idea at the last minute and it made me WAY late!) But it is on it's way to you, I swear. **TONS OF BIRTHDAY HUGS FOR YOU!!**
Oh, and that wall of Koigu? TOTALLY surpasses the wall o' Koigu we had here before Cloth and Clay closed...I nearly passed out when I saw your photo!

Carson said...

NOthing says "Happy Birthday" like a vintage hearse I always say.

mary said...

Looks like it was tons of fun and that mountain of oilcloth bags makes me drool! Oh yeah, the wall of koigu does too :) Glad it was a blast!

LotusKnits said...

Sounds like a total blast! So jealous that I couldn't be there. I almost passed out from the site of the wall d'Koigu!! Holy yarn wall batman! I'm totally in love with the pirate hat too. /swoon

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure what looks yummier....the cupcakes or that wall of Koigu!!

Looks like you guys had a awesome time.......definitely look into the yarn Sherpas for next year.

Ellen Bloom said...

Yeah, well the cupcakes LOOKED good, except the frosting was kinda' like solid Crisco with some sprinkles of sugar. Sorry 'bout that. It's the spirit that counts and they did photograph beautifully!

I think Patty should use that photo you took of her and the Wall 'o Koigu for her Christmas card!

It was truly a fun, fun day. We must do this again. I will be happy to journey to the Eastside for such a day!

Jenn said...

Happy Birthday Miss Madge!

Glad you had such a fun day!

And when I head down to visit the BFs sister in Long Beach I'm going to insist on a trip to yarn mecca... the Wall of Koigu!

RoxyK said...

WOW - will ya look at those cakes!!!

Glad you had such a great time. You deserve it :)

mehitabel said...

It really was a fun day! Thanks to you for having the idea, and the org skillz to get it all together!

kgirlknits said...

oh, goodness me, i missed your BIRTHDAY??? how on earth did I not see the little cake on Ravelry?

Hope you had a terrific day, which by all accounts, it sounds like you did ;)

fab cupcakes, btw!

Annette said...

I'm glad you had a fun birthday! Now lets talk about that wall of Koigu. Did you buy some for the Babette Blanket? Webs is doing a KAL for Babette soon. I was considering joining in but they finish their projects so fast and I don't. It would get me started though. I might have to make a trip to the great wall sometime soon! Wanna come?