Monday, April 28, 2008

Impetuous

A few weeks ago Mary and I were kicking around the idea of a KAL where you cast on whatever your little heart desires. No fuss, no muss, no talk of finishing, just reckless casting on...the knitting equivalent of Boogie Nights. We were half joking, but on Saturday last I decided Why the hell not? So I'm casting on a project a day this week!

~ Project #1 - Saturday ~
First up is a reversible scarf pattern from Lori Lawson (Rav profile here) using some of her delish hand painted angora/merino yarn. It cranked on US 10s, and within 24 hours I had bound off.

Pattern: Reverse Cable Scarf by Capistrano Fiber Arts Studio
Yarn: Capistrano Fiber Arts Studio Angora/Merino in Golden Eye - 2 skeins
Needles: Clover 9" US 10 straights
Mods: None
Rating: Ed Wood would approve
Ravelry link here

See the little spots of emerald amidst the olive and gold?

Wham, bam, what a satisfying knit. The yarn? Gorgeous. Angora. Which happens to be a guilty pleasure of mine. Sure, I was snorting fuzz as I knit, but what a high. At the larger gauge the scarf drapes nicely, and the yarn is shown off to advantage. I could make ten of these, but onto...

~ Project #2 - Sunday ~
This one is Wendy's fault. She says Knit with cashmere. I say Okay. (Yeah, I'm easy. And yeah, Wendy knows her shit when it comes to knitting with the good stuff.) Yesterday I cast on Flutter using Posh Yarn's Camilla in Chocolate. Camilla is a two-ply lace weight cashmere I bought on sale from Pick Up Sticks last summer. The dye job? Inferior - half is rich cordovan and chocolate, half is lackluster shades of brown and tan, and the resultant pooling is all sorts of random craptastic - but I just can't stop knitting long enough to start over with another yarn. Because, well, cashmere. 'Tis yummy. And I can always overdye when I'm done, right?

The pooling, it be fugly

Today's project is still TBD, so tune in tomorrow to see what rooting around in the stash scares up. Wow, isn't this exciting?

8 comments:

mary said...

My vote for today's reckless cast on is Boing! Do it! Do it! You know you want to. :)

Anonymous said...

While I said, "knit cashmere" what I did not say was "trade the Posh". I bought some Posh a few years ago and the yarn smalled like battery acid. Which is too bad since it was 8 ply. I gave it away. Yes. Gave. (it was stinking up the rest of my stash)

As for the "ooo shiny!" KAL there's a new mystery shawl coming up...

cher said...

I love this idea and realized i may have to join in since Staurday I cast on socks for the girl and last night I cast on socks for me, maybe tonight I can find something else to start up, there are still 3 hours left...

p.s.
purdy scarf!

Ellen Bloom said...

I almost do this all the time. That's why I have so many tote-bags full o' projects sitting around the dining room.

jillian said...

You are on a roll! Lovely, lovely CFA scarfy!

Such a bummer about the Posh.

Anonymous said...

I love it! Reckless abandonment of knitting.....GO!GO!GO! Can't wait to see what you do next.

Anonymous said...

CO a project a day? What a wild woman you are! Yay- lots of great projects to look forward to!

Liz K. said...

Look, if you can't be reckless with your knitting then can you ever be reckless? I'm in total support of sheer abandon.

Ok, my secret word below is fkdusux. Yes. I am 12.