Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Reckless Casting On Continues

~ Project #3 - Monday ~
This one really was spontaneous. Yesterday afternoon Mary gifts me with Boing, five minutes later I grab my hank of coveted Sweet Georgia Handpainted Lace in Fondant and cast on. And immediately realize that this project is a problem child. The pattern is easy, but sadistic as it employs p2tog tbl stitches. On size 3 needles in lace weight that's a total bitch. The yarn is fun - if any pattern calls for this wacky colorway, Boing is it - but the merino is grabby and already beginning to fuzz. Erm. We'll see how this one goes; it may be destined for the frog pond.

~ Project #4 - Tuesday ~
Today's project is one I've been meaning to do for a while. I'm making my Mom a pair of One Skein's Cable Footies , using Dream in Color's Classy in Lipstick Lava. It's my first time knitting with DIC, and I'm lovin' the little I've knit.

This exercise is fun. It's getting me outside my knitting comfort zone in a good way. It's giving me practice in fitting patterns with stash yarn, something I often have trouble doing. It's using up said stash yarn, which helps with my Mission: Possible 2008 goals. It's shown me that I like a little silk in my lace yarn, and that an order to Sarah's Yarns for some Zephyr might be in order. It's prompting me to start some I-really-should-knit-that-project projects that have been lingering too long on my to-do list. Huh. Who knew it would be so introspective. Well, knitting's like that sometimes.

3 comments:

Jodi said...

The "reckless casting on" looks very fun! I want to make a pair of those cable footies, too.

mary said...

You crack me up! I frogged Boing! and recast on for 4 repeats instead. I'd gone through the chart 2 times when I realized that I've been doing the second half of the decreases wrong. Oopsies but I'm NOT frogging again. So what if it looks like crap.

Nellie said...

Great minds and all - I've just this very day being eyeing off Boing! Cant wait to see how yours turns out. If you frog, do you think your cast on frenzy will continue with another yarn for this one?