Thursday, May 15, 2008

Foliage

Whew. Thanks for letting me vent yesterday. I feel much better. My mood probably has a lot to do with the fact that Tom and I are off on a week's vacation this coming Saturday. We'll be in Colorado, visiting with friends in Denver and hanging in Boulder, home of my alma mater. (Go Buffs!) I won't be online much after this post, so I'll catch up with everyone when I return.

Pattern: Foliage by Emilee Mooney - version 2 for worsted weight yarn
Yarn: Malabrigo Merino Worsted in Moss - 1/2 skein
Needles: Addi Turbo 16" US 5 and 7; Clover bamboo dpns US 7
Mods: To cast on I crocheted a four-loop chain, joined it, picked up the first four knit stitches, and began on Row 2 (kf&b four times) of the pattern.
Rating: * * *

My Reckless Cast On #5 took about a second to knit. That is, after the hour or so I tried to figure out how to do a pleasing-to-the-eye cast on. Okay, maybe I exaggerate, but I did fiddle with the cast on for a while. As per usual, my knitting group came to the rescue - thanks, Marie, for the suggestion - and once that was done, this lace hat quickly finished itself. I love that you start at the crown and work down, that the lace pattern is nice and rustic looking in the Malabrigo, that this is such a quick knit. I'm not a fan of single-ply yarn, and as I knitted, was afraid that if I looked at it the Malabrigo would felt. (Someday I'll buy you all a mai tai, and you can explain the Cult of Malabrigo to me.) However, once knit up, it looked good enough to gift to Beth, whose head you see in the photos. So I did.

Have to dash. There's travel knitting to pick out. Have a great week!

11 comments:

mary said...

I will bring you over to the dark side of Malabrigo some day, my pretty! cackle cackle I love how foliage turned out in the green malabrigo, and how you're singlehandedly planning to outfit all of us knitters with hats.

jillian said...

No Malabrigo love?!?!?!?

But the hat's so cute!

Curly Cable said...

Your Foliage hat is really pretty, and the colour suits the pattern perfectly. I bet Beth is delighted. Have a fantastic vacation and the chance to chill out a little

LotusKnits said...

Your Foliage is very cute. No stress about the Malabrigo. Send it all to me.

kgirlknits said...

ooh, lovely! great colour for a nice warm winter hat.

enjoy your break...

Nellie said...

Your hat is ace. Have a great break!

Anonymous said...

Looks fabulous! I love hats -- so quick and easy!

Anonymous said...

There seems to be plenty of us to help you see the Malabrigo light. Just tell me when to show up for mai tais! ;) Have a great vacation!

Anonymous said...

Super cute Foliage!

Have a great trip......oh, and you'll get no help from me on the Malabrigo....I love that frickin yarn!!

Romi said...

Ooooh. Purdy! :)

RoxyK said...

A trip sounds perfect!

Huh on the Malabrigo? Thats ok though, more for me to love ;)