Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Rocky Mountain High

Vacation was awesome. Remarkably knit-free, but awesome. The first three days were spent visiting with old friends of mine, Duane and Cindy.

I've known them since my senior year of high school (1981-82). They're the co-owners of Wax Trax Records (aka the best record store in the world)) and mighty fine hosts. Tom had never been to Colorado before this, so we geared our activities around showing him some of the sights.

Highlights include Red Rocks and nearby biker town Morrison...

...contemporary art at the recently remodeled Denver Art Museum and walking around downtown...

Denver Public Library as seen from the Denver Art Museum

...hitting Colfax Avenue for lunch at Davies' Chuck Wagon Diner...

...and a stop at the Tattered Cover before heading to...

...Wax Trax, which will be celebrating its 30th anniversary in November.

The second half of our trip was spent in Boulder and Estes Park. We lolled around the lovely Bradley Boulder Inn...

...ambled around Pearl Street and the CU campus...

... and spent our last day on a mountain drive that culminated in Estes Park.

Boulder Falls

For you pop culture junkies, Estes Park is the home of the Stanley Hotel, which was Stephen King's inspiration for The Shining. We've run around saying "redrum" ever since.

Wonderfully atmospheric shot of the Stanley Hotel

We had such a great time we debated about coming home, but sanity prevailed, and we got on our plane, jiggity jig. Next up, a succinct report on a couple of Denver area LYS, which is all I was able to see since I was 1) surrounded by non-knitters, and 2) busy doing other stuff. Which might have involved pie. Imagine that.

11 comments:

Annette said...

Yummy! Looks like a great trip. Glad you had fun. I'll have to visit Wax Tracks if I'm ever in Denver. I bet there are some cool finds to be had.

Debi said...

Sounds like a great time hunny--I'm so glad for you!

I loved your comment btw, you lil stalker you :)

mary said...

Mmmmmmm, pie... Looks like it was a fun and relaxing trip, although if you didn't knit, I might have to question your commitment to knitting!

Anonymous said...

What a fun trip! Welcome back!

Ellen Bloom said...

LOVED hearing about your trip the other day, but all of your GREAT photos really puts the trip in perspective for me. I want to go to Davies' Chuck Wagon Diner!!!

Anonymous said...

Looks like a great tragic cherry pie!

I love Red Rocks. One of the few things that actually impressed the implussable (why, yes I AM a Vocabucreatologist, why do you ask?) SBH.

On our next trip I SO want to visit The Stanley House. I LOVES me a good haunting.

I hope you went to A Knitted Peace. That LYS totall rocks!

LotusKnits said...

Oh that looks like such fun! I want to go to Colorado, but I guess I'll have to live vicariously through you. I'm totally hitting the Stanley House if I ever make it there.

cher said...

Cherry Pie! my favorite, as well as lemon meringue, key lime, well just about any pie I guess I'll eat. The mountains looks gorgeous. I'm sooo jealous, I so need a vacation. Looks like you had a wonderful trip!

Macoco said...

I got chills just looking at the picture of the hotel. redrumredrumredrum!

Now I always love reading your posts, but this one especially pleased me as it gave me an answer to a crossword puzzle I've been fighting with. (blank) Park, Colo - yup, ESTES!

Thank you;)

Carson said...

love that chuck wagon sign

RoxyK said...

Ooh - nice pics! Looks like you had a lovely time ;)