Sunday, October 22, 2006

All Systems Go

Late Friday afternoon the UPS guy delivered a box from Webs, one of my current top go-to online sources for yarn. In it was Classic Elite's Beatrice, a yarn I've been eyeing for over a year; when I saw a few weeks ago that they had it discounted for under $5 a ball I knew I had to have me some.



I pulled the yarn out of the box and swatched immediately for the casual hoodie (Kirstin) in Melissa Leapman's Hot Knits. And wonder of wonders, gauge (3.75 st per inch - what kinda wacky gauge is that?) was met on my second attempt. After the angst of trying - and failing - to get gauge for the last two sweaters I've wanted to make, this prompted some lightheadedness and disbelief, followed by a contented glow of satisfaction. Yes, Virginia, some garment knitting will be happening this fall after all.



Beatrice is made up of three strands of merino loosely plied together. I was a little concerned about keeping an even tension with all three strands while I knit my swatch; indeed, a couple of my stitches had one strand looser than the other two, which made it look like the yarn had been snagged. Not good. But, after washing the yarn relaxed, the strands melded together, and the resulting fabric is happy making. I'll need to watch my tension carefully, and make sure I don't snag the strands (maybe my pointy Knit Picks Options needles aren't the best choice with this yarn...but hello! I got gauge! I got gauge! Full steam ahead!) to insure that this is a successful knit. Surely I can do that. Let the casting on begin!

In other news, Midwest Moonlight is a fun knit. Might have to buy another skein to insure it's long enough, though. Usually I like my scarves shorter rather than longer, but this dramatic color needs to be seen. Goodness, it's the knit version of Gloria Swanson in Sunset Boulevard.

4 comments:

jillian said...

Hooray for gauge! It was meant to be!

mehitabel said...

That's going to be one fine-looking sweater--how exciting to get gauge first try! And I hope that your chartreuse scarf will make you feel like Gloria, too. Ready for your close-up?

mary said...

Beatrice looks gorgeous knitted up. Congrats on getting gauge! I love the gloria swanson sweater. Are you ready for your close up? I'll alert Mr. DeMille.

Annette said...

Beatrice is going to make an awesome hoodie. I love the colorway. And your scarf is knitting up beautifully. Congrats on getting gauge! I can't wait to see it in progress. :)