Thursday, October 19, 2006

Jinxed

I should have turned the car around. When the black cat with the large mouse in its mouth crossed my path on Monday, I should have stopped, executed a nice 3-point turn and taken a different route home. Instead, the following thoughts popped into my head:

Aww, look, a black kitty. With a mouse. Doing what cats do. Aww, Buster... [a stray black cat we rescued, Buster was a righteous hunter until he went to live the good life with Katrina, a friend in Boston]...and Brix [another black cat who lived with us for 16 years until passing away a couple of years ago] ....


And I blithely drove on, thinking kitty thoughts, disregarding the Dante's Limbo that waited for me today. Yes, indeedy. After three days of grace, I finally was summoned to appear for jury duty. I'd hoped that maybe the mouse was the recipient of the black cat vibes - kinda like gold fish absorbing bad energy in feng shui - and I'd be off the hook this week. Nope. The mouse just deflected the vibes for a few days, that's all. So off I went to downtown Los Angeles to wait around with all the other poor bewildered souls until I was allowed to begin the medical exemption process that will hopefully take me off The Man's jury duty list for a while. (yeah, I have some medical testing going on right now which is all very boring and we don't need to go into)

But the two hours I was there were well spent reading Jeff Lindsay's Darkly Dreaming Dexter. (We don't have Showtime, so I'm not watching the series.) Might have been the stultifying civil servant hallways and waiting rooms that added a certain relish to my reading, but I am enjoying Lindsay's sly humor nonetheless.

And I am thankful to the mouse that I got yesterday off. Wednesdays are knitting group days, and yesterday we bid adieu to one of our members, Marie. She's moving to Seattle, and we're going to miss her dreadfully much.



Happy trails, Marie!

4 comments:

Annette said...

Darn black cat! Glad you have something enjoyable to read. I gather they don't allow knitting needles in the courthouse. (sigh) So much knitting time wasted. I hope you're released soon!

Opinionated said...

ugh, jury duty bites. I'm glad you didn't have to hang around there too long! I always get called into downtown too :(

mehitabel said...

Jury duty is so chancy. Last time I got called, I just phoned it in every night and never had to show up. Time before that? Empanelled! My husband finally got his permanent exemption notice, I guess since he's now a "resident" of Conn! Irony is, he always enjoyed jury duty.

Lady Misty Morn said...

you know, maybe the dead mouse in the black cat's mouth did it's job in absorbing the bad luck, you didn't have to stay too long. Had you received the full balance of the bad luck, you may have been stuck there for longer.

Thank you, now we're back in the house, and amazingly it didn't pack itself *sigh* Off to pack some more boxes.