Monday, October 16, 2006

Happiness is...

...a ball of chartreuse yarn.



Elsebeth Lavold Silky Wool, that is. From its crunchy, tweedy hand to its fiber content (65 wool/35 silk, which allows it to be worn directly against the skin without being itchy) this yarn is lovely. I first used it this spring to make knitty's Branching Out Scarf as my Knitting Olympics - and first lace - project. I used the moss green colorway, and wore the scarf continually until the weather warmed up. This summer, I wasted some of it - black, this time - on a fugly Knit Picks scarf pattern. Now it's autumn, and I'm using it to make Midwest Moonlight from Scarf Style. I bought two skeins in this acid green colorway from Knit Cafe during their summer sale, and am delighted at how it's knitting up all sassy. Just the thing to get me out of my knitting doldroms.

In other news, the ardor has cooled:



There I was last night, on row 54 of 55 of the first repeat of my Hanging Garden shawl, when an itty bitty stitch jumped off my needle. All the way down, down, down. Can you see the carnage? Frak. Unfortunately, I'm not one of those knitters who can take 57 dpns, 122 pins and a bottle of wine and MacGyver things back into shape. Nosireebob. Instead, I'm one of those knitters who rips back to their lifeline and starts again. So be it, but later.

Hey, the winter IK preview is up. Eunny Jang's fair isle sweater looks incredible.

8 comments:

mehitabel said...

Love that fair isle sweater--but then I've hardly ever met a FI that I didn't love! Now, ask me what I think of the "bondage sweater" with the strings holding it up and throttling the wearer...some designers are very creative, and dependably fugly!

Fay Lynn said...

I love Eunny's things. It is amazing how quickly she can design and knit somthing like that up. Oh how I wish I could do that. Maybe if I quiet life as i know it and have the time just play with my knitting.....

Ah Dreams......

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, I feel for you with the hanging gardens deconstructing itself. Poor Madge.

On the other hand, that green beauty is knitting up very pretty.

Don't give up the ship, you are doing great, keep it up. LOL

mary said...

Love that acid green and can't wait to see the scarf! I wish my silky tweed were the same color; instead it's olivey which I just have to let sit in the stash until I get some aha! moment. My condolences on your shawl. At least you were smart enough to run a lifeline. My shawl kicked me in the teeth something fierce. Let's go drown our sorrows!

Annette said...

Love that chartreuse! It's knitting up very pretty. Sorry to hear about the shawl. I'll have to remember to run a life line whenever I get around to making one. That fair isle is amazing. That's something I haven't tried yet, but it's been on my radar for awhile - I like the sweater on the cover of IK's fall issue (with the fair isle yoke). Hmmm.

jillian said...

Oooh - a scarf in SW would be divine. Love that stuff. So glad you had a lifeline - EEK.

And thanks for the link to the winter IK! It's got some fab patterns - especially that Eunny sweater. Whoa.

Anonymous said...

What COLOR! And this from a woman who wears black all the time and thinks white adds color to her wardrobe. Ah, yarn has done wonders.
I love the skull tote and Megan will, too, it's PINK.
You bet happiness is Chartreuse, I had my bedroom that color once.

Anonymous said...

i love that midwest moonlight pattern. i made it last winter. it looks amazing with that yarn and i LOVE the color!