Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Halloween

In our neighborhood, Halloween is a Big Deal. Decorations abound, and when the sun goes down and the moon comes up...well, all the kids from near and far gather here with parents in tow. From 5.30 to 8.30 pm it's a frenzy of costumes and candy, and an absolute hoot. Until we moved here eight years ago we had always lived in dodgy urban areas - the Mission/Bernal Heights in San Francisco and the non-gentrified side of Silverlake in Los Angeles - and not once did we see a trick-or-treater. But here, here Halloween is magical like I remember it being in my childhood. For our neighborhood is a present-day Mayberry replete with safe streets full of kids dressed as princesses and comic book heroes, witches and ghosts, pumpkins and puppies...all clamoring for their Snickers and Baby Ruths.

The candy giving does take stamina, because there are hundreds of kids. Really. Lots. Tom and I usually tag team; I take the first shift until he comes home from work, and then he spends the last hour or so answering the door. Last year was horrific...we ran out of candy at 8.10 pm - even the cheapo Tootsie Rolls that I buy as backup went before then - and had to shut the door and turn off the lights. We had to turn away kids, which really bummed us out. But this year I'm ready for 'em.


I've also received a Halloween goodie of my own. My skein of Yarn Pirate's Spooky arrived yesterday, and I heart it, especially the way the grey is mixed in with the orange and black. Very nice. Georgia also included a little skeleton toy with the yarn - awww - which my cat Maggie immediately pounced on and carried off to parts unknown. Some day, when I have conquered the sock, I shall make a kick ass Spooky pair to wear on this most wonderful of holidays.


And wait, what's that about socks? Could it be?! Yes, I think it is. Don't they look funny? Mary is teaching me how to make toe up socks on two circs. So far I like using two circs waaaay better than when I tried using DPNs two months ago. Hopefully M will show me the wonders of heel turning tomorrow at knitting group and a sock making epiphany shall occur. Stay tuned to the same bat channel to hear all about it.



Happy haunting.

5 comments:

Fay Lynn said...

I live on the wrong side of the tracks. On the Other side of Fair Oaks there are hundreds of kids just like your talking about. But on my side of Fair Oaks not a one. My mom used to live on the other side and when my boys were young we had more fun handing out candy then going trick or treating ourselves.

But alas, my mom moved several years ago so the Halloween Spirit has moved with her. We will be going out to see a movie.

Have a great time!

mary said...

The trickle of trick-or-treaters has stopped for now, I think. I take the kids trick-or-treating and my mom hands out the candy. Your socks look positively spooky! We'll be a-heel-turnin' tomorrow. hee hee

Annette said...

I had a few groups of trick or treaters. We don't get many, which disappointed me when we first moved here. After living in an apartment for years, I thought I would have tons in our new neighborhood. I keep saying I'm going to go all out on decorations and lure them in...maybe next year.

Your socks are looking spooktacular! I can't wait to see them and you next week. Happy Wednesday. :)

Anonymous said...

Good luck with the socks! It's been a while since I've gotten any trick-or-treaters - sounds like a blast!

mehitabel said...

Sad face--guess who has to work on Halloween? Looks like you were all prepared,though! Gotta love it when the old-timey stuff is still happening, and it sounds like you have that kind of neighborhood. (Our house is reputed to be haunted, so leaving it dark and spooky on Halloween isn't as bad as it could be. Too bad I didn't think to put an orange light in the attic.)