Thursday, October 12, 2006

Dem Bones

This is my favorite time of year. Autumn is my favorite season, October my favorite month, Halloween my favorite holiday. Yep, I'm spooky. And what better way to share the spookiness of the season than by making a girly-girl skull totebag for one's niece?



Pattern: Hello Yarn's Big Skull Tote
Yarn: Knit Picks Wool of the Andes in Coal and Tulip
Needles: US 13 24" Addis
Modifications: I decreased the number of cast on stitches from 80 to 60, then increased ten stitches on rows 5 and 10 to make the top of the bag tighter. I also made the skull on just one side, not two, using some funky faux intarsia and loose knots to make sure it all felted together properly.
Rating: 3 out of 5 snack-sized Snickers bars. Another great advanced beginner felting project. I love the magenta and black combo!

As I mentioned before, I collect skull patterns, but this is the first project I've made using one. Someday I'll get around to making these, too:

- the AntiCraft's Snowball's Chance in Hell
- Knitty's Yorick
- Hello Yarn's We Call Them Pirates

Kinda amazing, really, the number of skull patterns out there. I mean, google and you'll pull up all sorts of fun skeletal stuff. Makes my spooky heart glad.

1 comment:

Annette said...

Cute Madge! Your niece is going to love it.