Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Day Trippin'


This past Sunday Sknitty, CatBookMom and I attended the Southern California Handweaver's Guild annual fall show and sale. The vibe was laid back and the attendees enthusiastic and friendly. And while most of the vendors obviously were geared toward spinners and weavers, a few booths were selling yarn and knitting supplies, too.


There were several highlights to the day. First and foremost was spinner/dyer extraordinaire Lori Lawson and her Capistrano Fiber Arts Studio booth o' yarny goodness. Sknitty and I had first seen and fallen in love with her yarn and roving at La Petite Knitterie this past summer. We were thrilled that Lori was at the show, and all of us oohed and aahed over her wares. I came away with two skeins of luscious merino/silk in Irish Moss, with which I will probably make fingerless gloves. (I bought two other skeins of the same yarn in a lovely burgundy/pink/sage colorway, but they've gone to live with Dim Sum Knitting.) I also bought some beige and green roving (baby camel/tussah silk) from Lori, and a couple of skeins of Claudia Hand Painted fingering in Navy Olive from Anacapa Fine Yarns. Also from Anacapa comes the cute black sheep tape measure.


We bought yarn, we ate lunch, we visited with some other bloggers, we watched some folks spinning, we sat and knit for a bit ourselves.


CBM and I watched the fashion show, and Sknitty and a pal (who joined us mid-day) modeled a couple of handwoven pieces. We went back and stalked Lori and bought more of her yarn.


Late in the day we participated in the raffle, and CBM won a skein of Schaefer's Laurel in tropical hues. You can see it there in the front, the vivid yellow and turqoise skein. And go visit her blog to read the funny story behind the dumpster diving involved. Then, after visiting Lori a third and final time (and yes, we bought more yarn), we headed home. Great friends, great fiber, great day.

5 comments:

Lady Misty Morn said...

What a wonderfully fun day :). I'm jealous that I wasn't there to join you all, but that's what happens when one moves away *sigh*

jillian said...

A perfect day - and I got to relive it via your post! And I had no idea I was so shiny :) D**n hormones.

mary said...

So glad you guys had a blast and sorry I had to miss it. I'm definitely there next year, birthday or not!

CatBookMom said...

Love the post about our fun day! Sorry I missed the other bloggers. You and Sknitty made it a hoot and a half!

mehitabel said...

What a great day! I was tempted to go, but couldn't get a "traveling companion" to go "all that way." Of course, after digging out my stash of Fleece Artist, I realize I don't need any more yarn!!