Sunday, November 19, 2006

Yoo Hoo Mr. DeMille



Pattern: Midwest Moonlight from Scarf Style (aka my Gloria Swanson scarf)
Yarn: Elsebeth Lavold Silky Wool in color 29, 2+ skeins
Needles: Takumi US 6
Mods: None
Rating: 5 stars

What a satisfying project. The yarn, the color, the pattern - all meshed like I wanted them to, creating an eye-popping chartreuse scarf. The lace pattern was easy, but held my attention, and zipped along. Things could've moved along even faster if I'd used slicker needles with the nubby yarn, but since I could finish a repeat in an hour, I figured what the heck and kept with the Takumis. (As a good friend says, I'm built for comfort, not for speed.) Still have to block the gal; I recently ordered a set of blocking wires from HandWorks Northwest, and am waiting for them to arrive.

And for the Sunset Boulevard fans out there, here's a closeup:



Immediately upon binding off the scarf last night, I cast on the hoodie (Kirstin from Melissa Leapman's Hot Knits) I'm making with all that Classic Elite Beatrice I bought from Webs a few weeks ago. I was feeling reckless, and subbed needles - Addis instead of KP Options, which split the yarn as I knit my swatch - and am much happier with the blunt-nosed Addis. I'll check gauge in a couple more inches, just to make sure, but right now I'm tempting the knitting gods by thinking things look pretty good.



This afternoon I'm letting the sweater be, though, and wrestling with Hanging Garden instead. In the time it took me last night to knit 3" on the sweater, I'm hoping to finish two rows of HG. Rather mind-boggling when you think about it, isn't it? And daunting, but I'm persevering. In fact, the other day Mehitabel and I were discussing how even though we like this pattern, it spurns our attention like a recalcitrant child and just doesn't get knit. Silly HG, don't you know, I can be stubborn, too.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

oooh, your scarf looks fabulous! the color is perfect and it must feel soooo nice. i love that silky wool! i love that pattern. i'm gonna have to make it again.

Anonymous said...

Norma Desmond, put on those sunglasses, you are stylin' LOL Love the scarf, Madge, it is really pretty.

jillian said...

That's cool! And wow, it looks that great and you haven't even blocked it yet? It's will look even better all opened up.

Funny how there will actually be times when blunt Addi's work better, hmmmm?

Annette said...

Beautiful! I love the color. I'm going to have to try that pattern someday. Nice work. :)

I love the hoodie from Melissa Leapman's Hot Knits! It's another on my 'someday' list. It's going to look great in Beatrice.

mary said...

Wow! FO's... how exciting. There are none around at my house, so I'm glad you've got some there. I *love* that acid green silky wool. I've actually been dreaming about picking up my lace wings again... frogging and reknitting. Maybe after the holidays.