Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Slay Me


There hasn't been any stash enhancement around here for a while, so it was lots of fun to receive an order from Connie at Pick Up Sticks today. A couple of weeks ago I was trawling for Sweet Georgia sock yarn, and felt like I'd hit the motherlode when I found Connie's site. Especially since there were colorways listed as Angel...and Firefly...and Willow. Hmm, I thought, I wonder if Sweet Georgia's a Joss Whedon fan. Then I clicked on another page, and there was the Slayer colorway. Yep, she most definitely is.

And so am I. In fact, back when the shows were on, a couple friends and I used to get together on Tuesday nights to knit, crochet and watch the Scooby Gang battle the forces of evil. We called it our Post-Feminist Craft Night aka Buffy Night, and it was good times. With that personal history, I just had to buy these Buffy the Vampire Slayer-themed colorways. So I did.


Slayer (in Speed Demon Sock/superwash merino) is a kick ass blood red with black overtones.


Angel (in Handpainted Sock/100% merino) is a variegated black/grey/red/white. After I placed my order I found Sweet Georgia's blog, and love how she describes this colorway: "Angel: a little bit of bleeding heart, a lot of brooding."


Willow (in Speed Demon Sock/superwash merino) is a pretty light green (almost chartreuse) with brown and white splotches.

And not only did I get my super fun yarn, but Connie also included a great project bag and a "Sell Your Sole" (!) sock pattern which uses the Speed Demon Sock yarn. So if you've a hankering for some sock yarn, I'd recommend Pick Up Sticks. They are based in Ontario, Canada, so delivery time is a little longer than Priority Mail (Connie processed my order immediately, and it took 11 days to arrive), but I expected that with the international mail. I've already got my eye on that Firefly colorway - and check out the Kill Bill - and will definitely be ordering from her again.

Speaking of superheroines, Mary gets a great big thanks for teaching me to turn the heels on my Monster Mash 'practice' socks. (Remember them?) I'm still trying to get my head around sock theory. It's hard. But Mary's been very patient, and has gone over - and over - with me how to do a short row heel. I think it's beginning to stick. Maybe. A little. As proof, here's a shot of the good side of the one heel I've done so far.


The other side (the side where I do the p3tog stitches) is a different story. I dropped a stitch, and was too lazy to rip back and redo things, so that side has two honking huge holes. There are also weird stitches with a bar across them; I don't think I'm doing my purl yarnovers correctly and have to check that. This week's homework is to finish the other heel, so I can finish this practice pair and start a 'real' pair with some of this cool yarn. It might not be as big as saving the world, but conquering the sock shall be sweet indeed.

8 comments:

mary said...

Other than being too worried about me, you were an ideal student for heel-turnin'. Slayer is righteous and am having to hold myself back. Of course Kill Bill is giving Slayer a run for its money. When someone comes out with a kickass yarn named Bruce Lee, I'll be dust. I'm curious about the Sell Your Sole pattern. Can I check it out next time I see you?

jillian said...

Now that is extra-cool stash enhancement. I had heard about the Slayer and Angel colorways but I didn't know how far her Whedonism went! N and I heart Joss!! I am watching my 4th or 5th run through of Buffy! And have everything Firefly on DVD. OK, enough geeking out.

CatBookMom said...

OMG, I found a Buffy group! I am SO a Slayer fan! So much for my resolve not to buy yarn for a while - gotta have some Slayer colorways. I have all the DVDs. Guess what I'll be watching today?? Thanks, Madge!!

Annette said...

Very cool colors. Must. Resist. Buying. Sock. Yarn. I think I'll make a deal with myself. No more buying sock yarn until I actually make a pair of socks. How's that for motivation? And when I do, you can help me turn the heel. :)

Anonymous said...

my guiltiest pleasure is that i tivo buffy reruns on fx. they're great to watch while knitting. i might have to order some slayer for myself.

Anonymous said...

You are so the sock maven now! Can you teach me? LOL Love all your new stash! Miss seeing you.

mehitabel said...

Gorgeous yarns--I must not buy yarn. I must not buy yarn. Oh, but the colors...

Anonymous said...

Whoa! I never even picked up on the Joss Whedon connection when I was on the site! How sad is that? Ha ha! I love Firefly!
Just placed my order for some Sweet Georgia action of my own on Friday and I should be getting my Dragon and Saffron this week! Can't wait to see those colours you ordered when they're knitted up. They are going to look fantastic!!
I'm definitely going to order from her again.