Thursday, November 02, 2006

Playing Well with Others

Those who've known me for a long time (hi Mom!) know I'm not a joiner. I've always been very independent, and until recently groups and I...well, we haven't really cliqued. I won't bore you with the details, but in the last 10 years some of the more *ahem* colorful people within the gardening, women's spirituality and knitting groups I've been in have been matrons who are nasty mean drunks, crazy people who believe garden gnomes are real, man-hating conspiracists who have convoluted theories about extraterrestrials, ancient cultures and the Knights Templar, and a couple of very snobby women who knit ponchos out of pink acrylic.

So, me? Previously unsuccessful in the joining thing. But that all changed a year ago, when I hooked up with my current knitting group, the Pasadena Daytimers.



These women rock. Hard. And they laugh at my jokes, which is cool, too...'coz you know, I'm kinda wacky myself. We all share a major love of the fiber arts, and most are as obsessed as I am about it all...which leads to all kinds of enthusiastic egging on and group zaniness.

What kinda zaniness you ask? Well, mostly it's led me into the internet knitting community, and I've joined not one, not two, but three KALs this fall.

Lacevember - I'm very excited about this one. It began yesterday, and already I'm awed and humbled by the work of my knittin' peers. It's the perfect venue for working on my Hanging Garden...and while I don't expect to finish my shawl, if I have 4-5 repeats done by the end of November I'll be happy.

Sock-A-Month2
- I've actually been a member of this six-month sock KAL since August. I know, I know, I don't even know how to make socks, so yeah, I was a little optimistic when I joined. But, hey, I'm learning now, and my goal is to have my first pair - the Monster Mashers - done by the end of the month. Even if they do have a crap Russian join and some laddering up the sides.



Scarf Style - Since I'm making Midwest Moonlight from the Scarf Style book I figured what the heck. MM is a quick knit, but since I'm concentrating on my lace and my socks, it's taking a back seat at the moment. Hope to have it finished in December.

But wait! There's more: I've also joined two yarn clubs in the past week. I've pre-registered for the 2007 Socks That Rock Club, and today I joined Goddess Yarns' Shawl Club. Is anyone a member of either? I'd love to hear feedback, especially about STR. It's a little pricey, and before I commit in January I'd like to be sure that the club colorways are as nice as their other ones. (Marvels of Knitting just posted about the latest colorway she received; I'm in the process of distracting her so I can filch it.)

Whew, all this camaraderie is tiring for an old curmudgeon like me. I better go yell at some of the neighborhood kids so I don't lose my edge.

3 comments:

Lady Misty Morn said...

Now you've gone and done it. I just had to pre-register for that STR sock of the month club. Hopefully I'll have a job to pay for it.

mary said...

Girl, you are all talk and no action. Who's the softy who gives out all her candy to the kids who can't be bothered to ring the doorbell or say trick or treat? Curmudgeon, my @$$! Anyway, I love the snarky comments and have loved every minute that you have been part of our group. You. Rock. Hard. too.

mehitabel said...

I thought you were describing me in that first paragraph--except I knit shawls out of pink ack-rylic! I preregistered for the STR club too but have been seeing some comments about it, which I will forward to you. The shawl club sounds good, there was one I almost joined through eBay and this sounds like the same deal...