Thursday, March 01, 2007

For the Love of Captain Sensible Pt. 1

I'm it. Jayne has tagged me for a musical meme wherein I show how my formative years were spent in the cultural wasteland of late 70s/early 80s American suburbia. This meme asks that I list the songs that are "guaranteed to make me speed in my car, dance in my seat and sing out loud." Since I'm still ipod-less, this meme turned into a two day walk down memory lane as I pulled out CDs to play and discovered that most of the music that gets me air guitaring in the living room, speeding in the car, etc. comes from that era. The memories flowed something like this: Aw, the Misfits. I remember when Jim H. stage dove and cracked his head open at their show. Good times.
Channel 3 - You Make Me Feel Cheap
Clash - White Riot
Damned - New Rose
Iron Butterfly - In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida*
Pioneers - Long Shot Kick De Bucket
Reverend Horton Heat - Galaxy 500
Southern Culture on the Skids - Love-A-Rama
Stiff Little Fingers - Suspect Device
Stranglers - Something Better Change
Supersuckers - Doublewide
Undertones - Get Over You
X - pretty much anything on Los Angeles and Wild Gift

*I'm going through a total mullet rock phase at the moment, which includes gems from Led Zeppelin, AC/DC and other classic rock bands. Embarrassing, but true.

And I'm breaking my "don't tag don't tell if you don't wanna" rule for this one. Cher, Dipsy, Ellen, Kristie, and Lyndsey-Jane: you're it. Rock on.

9 comments:

Carson said...

Captain Sensible!
Yes!
Just when I thought I was alone in the wasteland of being the only one to remember him!
Thanks

Lyndsey-Jane said...

I can't wait to do this tomorrow - I will no doubt have the cd's out too as my ipod is only 2gb so has my commuting music/flavour of the month as opposed to the classics. I am a ninities grunge/britpop girl!

jayne said...

Wow, you took this seriously! Should I be ashamed to admit that I don't know any of those on your list? Hopelessly out of touch, I guess. My sisters were into Elton John, David Bowie, Supertramp, KISS, Alice Cooper, etc. etc. during the 70's.

Ellen Bloom said...

Yikes, Madge! If I take on your challenge, I'll definitely be showing my age...which is old.

I may just stick with the classic roots music that is timeless and it still floats my boat!!!

mary said...

Mine would be sooooo embarrassing, The Go-Go's, Abba, and anything "new wave" at the time.

Anonymous said...

Oh, that was fun to read through, and I'll definitely play along! Yummy, Iron Butterfly, now, they're a classic indeed! It seems I'm going through the same phase lately like you do - it's a fun trip down memory lane and I have to say, this old sound rocks so much more than any of the new tunes!

Annette said...

I have Southern Culture on the Skids! I thought I was alone on that one. My list wouldn't be as cool back in the day, I must admit. Prince (still a fan), Madonna, Depeche Mode...I've become much more eclectic since then. I love Classic Rock now, but wasn't into it at the time.

LadyLinoleum said...

Mullet rock phase...I love this term...totally stealing it!

BrownPants said...

I haven't forgotten this! I've been making a list. It's a very long list...featuring many a mullet and flannel shirt :)