Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Brave Friends

A little while ago Barbara offered to (re)teach me how to knit socks. I said okay, but it made me nervous. I told her to take a Valium first. Because as Mary knows, trying to get me to knit a sock successfully is like building the Eighth Wonder of the World. My first attempt? Not so good. It made me wonder if socks and I will ever become friends, because right now we're just suspicious neighbors eying each other in the trailer park as we park our 1972 Dusters and take our six packs of Bud inside.

But after today there's hope that maybe in the next lifetime socks and I will come back as gorgeous best friends trust fund kids who have nothing better to do than spend our money on little dogs with bulgy eyes that fit in our purses (we'll name them Tinkerbell and Junebug) and excel at sexually inappropriate behavior with the male population (with men named Damien, Sven, Matt, Roberto, Thor, Steve, Ahmed, Dean, Big Daddy, Greg, etc., etc.).

Yowza. Because today Barbara patiently began teaching me remedial sock making 101. For my second attempt I'm knitting a simple top-down baby sock (we're winging it with the pattern) with worsted weight yarn (Nashua Handknits Creative Focus Superwash) on US 4 dpns. Simple 1x1 rib, followed by stockinette, followed by Idon'tknowI'mnotthereyet. So far so good with this cute little socklet. (I'm naming it Lucky.)

Thank you, Barbara and Mary, for being brave and helping me become a bona fide knitter. It feels great.

11 comments:

CatBookMom said...

You're going to be a great sock knitter!! How funny that I had to frog mine for too-loose gauge! I'm going to give it another try with size 3 circs, then move it down to size 2s after the ribbing if needed.

Today was a LOT of fun, and I look forward to Lesson #2.

Lady Misty Morn said...

You can do it, you had a lot of practice with Joey's appendages. I know you'll be a great sock knitter, just take it one step at a time.

Carson said...

Teehee
Love the analogies
I'm with you re sock knitting relationship.
I'm so glad I'm not in this alone!

Oh..and the comment about "Joeys appendages"?! I don't think I wanna know!..*hands over ears..LA LA LA*

mehitabel said...

oooh, a lucky baby sock! That should be good. Maybe if you tell it that it's going to go to Dulaan or to CIC or some such, it will behave its little self and come out perfect! Then of course you will have to make it a mate. Wait. That brings out all sorts of inappropriate thoughts here... A twin. Yeah, that's right, a twin.

BrownPants said...

You'll totally ace it!
(And is that your car? Wooooweee!)

mary said...

Go on with your bad sock knitting self, girl friend! Are you going to post a picture of the General Lee next? I'm still working on my second Hedera which is also top down and traditional in construction, and was going to recommend it to you. Yippee!

Ellen Bloom said...

Oh yeah, socks...ho hum..I'm sure they'll be fine.

Now, about that DUSTER!!! My best friend's Mom had a duster. Of course, it was white with blue interior (safe). We drove that thing all over town everyday after school. It was fast and cool!!! Thanks for the memory!

Anonymous said...

You were already a bonafide knitter, but I'm glad you're having better luck with socks this time around. I love sock knitting!

jillian said...

Funny, funny! And I love "socklet"! Once you get through one whole sock, you'll be flying!

Anonymous said...

Hey, you're getting there - yay for you! And believe me, after your first - and maybe second - successful attempt you'll be as addicted to knitting socks as most of us are ;)
I adore the car by the way - and it's orange!!! ;)

LotusKnits said...

It took me a while to get into socks, and some days I'm still not convinced. But I love the yarn! And magic loop doesn't scare me anymore.

Congrats! You can do it! Don't let some little sock kick your ass!