Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Twofer

One

Pattern: Bulky Moss Rib Gauntlets by Capistrano Fiber Arts Studio
Yarn: CFAS Handpainted Superfine Alpaca in Red Lantern - 2 skeins
Needles: Takumi US 6 dpns
Mods: None
Rating: Sweet

Last summer my knitting group went on a yarn crawl behind the Orange Curtain (i.e. into the conservative depths of Orange County, home to Disneyland, the John Wayne airport and other landmarks south of Los Angeles). One of our stops was at La Petite Knitterie, which is the outlet for the amazing hand dyed yarns and roving of Lori Lawson's Capistrano Fiber Arts Studio (wish she had a website). While there I picked up this pattern and two skeins of this lofty alpaca, spun by Kat Garcia, the owner of LPK, and dyed by Lori. Oh la la. If this yarn were a dessert, it would be meringue. So light and frothy, it almost melts on your needles.

These gloves were my first real "practice on dpns" project, and made the experience a lovely one. I'm gifting them to my friend C., who rides her motorcycle to classes in the evening. (Hi, C.! Hope you get good use out of these!)

Two

Pattern: Fountain Lace Scarf by Kristen Gonsalves (freebie with yarn purchase)
Yarn: Valley Yarns Florence in color 38193
Needles: Takumi US 10
Mods: None
Rating: Satisfying

Last fall I was curious to try one of the Valley Yarns' yarns - the in-house yarn line from WEBS - and I picked Florence for my test knit. This scarf is an easy lace pattern that came with this really rather unremarkable yarn. If you're on a budget and want a slightly fuzzy worsted weight yarn, it would be a great choice, but I won't be knitting with it again. It is 50 merino/35 acrylic/15 mohair, and while the mohair isn't scratchy, the acrylic content is a little too high for my taste. If it were a dessert, it would be some Oreos with a glass of milk. It's going to my Grandma, who gets cold easily and can always use a new scarf.

P.S. Do you see the cat tail in the scarf pic? That's Archie, our piss 'n' vinegar cat. Can you tell he's a pistol?

7 comments:

mary said...

Brilliant FOs, O Mistress of the DPNs. C is one lucky gal to receive those fingerless mitts. I know she'll get great use out of them, and grandma won't be able to tell the acrylic, will she?

Anonymous said...

You've been so productive! And I absolutely adore both FOs! The gloves look so totally warm and cozy with this beautiful yarn, and your Fountain Lace Scarf is just heavenly! What a very unique pattern, it looks so fragile and elegant! And LOL, the cat's tail in the pic rocks big time! Fantastic work, Madge!

Annette said...

Love those gloves! The yarn is to-die-for. And the scarf is beautiful despite the acrylic content. I'm sure Grandma will love it. Archie is too cute!

Anonymous said...

Those handspun mitts look yummy! You have been a busy little knitter....good for you. I can relate to the cat tail in the pic, most of my photos have some sort of furry creature assistance.

jillian said...

Pretty and pretty, pretty everywhere. You are knocking out the FOs! I am positive all the giftees will be in love.

mehitabel said...

Wonderful progress--and Archie is a sweetheart. He looks a lot like my Simon--who is also full of piss and vinegar! The scarf came out very pretty, and the mitts--I agree, definitely meringue!

LORI LAWSON said...

Madge, nice job on the gauntlets! Just so you know, I now have some of my rovings posted on my blog at: http://capistranofiberarts.blogspot.com
And, you can see what I've been up to by visiting my regular blog: http://paintspinknit.blogspot.com