Friday, January 26, 2007

Three Fs

1. Fuzzy

Thanks, everyone, for the get well wishes. You're so kind. I've spent most of the week dazed and achy, but am mending. Finishing sentences was a challenge for a few days, but I think nouns, verbs and adjectives are once again my friends. Maybe even adverbs, too. We'll see how this post goes, though, because I've already said "achy." Which brings to mind the horror of Billy Rae Cyrus. So, see, I've still got some Jack Kerouac stream of consciousness rambling going on, but I'll try to keep it under control.

2. Frankensocks


Like Shelley's doomed monster, my first pair of socks is a failed experiment. After six months of working on the darn things, I finally cast them off on Tuesday. And I must have missed a vital step after I turned the heels, because the leg parts are so tight they don't even fit over my feet. I admit to giving a Gallic shrug (isn't it hilarious that you can find this on the web?) upon discovering this. The painkillers definitely had something to do with it, but really, it's time to move on. To my second pair. And this time, I will own my knitting. I will do my homework, watch my Lucy Neatby DVD and read my Sensational Knitted Socks. I will make a basic sock using dpns so I can figure out how they're constructed, and then reattempt what Mary so patiently tried to teach me - the toe up short row heel two socks on two circs. I will triumph.

Because, well, I have a lot of sock yarn hitting my doorstep in the coming months. I've signed up for Mama E's Project Spectrum Sock Club. I've forked over the dough for the Blue Moon's Rockin' Sock Club. And yesterday I signed up for the Loopy Ewe's Seasonal Sock Club. So, yep, time to get serious with the sock making.

3. Flower Basket


Blissed out heaven is what this knit is. I finished the fifth repeat last night, and am loving every stitch.

And now, my couch awaits. Time for a nap. Happy weekend!

8 comments:

Lady Misty Morn said...

The socks look great, even if they don't fit. If it's any consolation, my first pair of socks were too big and I gifted them away, they are happily being worn by a friend I left behind in So. Cal. Glad to hear you are feeling better.

Anonymous said...

oooh, you got in to the loopy club! sniff...i didn't even get a spot. but now i have do dye 150 skeins of yarn for you guys. i think my fingers will fall off!!

i have a few pairs of socks i've made with the legs too tight. i solved the problem by switching to size 2 dpns. i guess i'm a tight knitter. keep feeling better!!

mary said...

I didn't even hear about this sock club. You're holding out on me! Congrats on finishing the socks and getting them off your needles. I'm so sorry they don't fit :( Gives me more resolve to make our next pair totally kick a$$! Glad you're feeling better and up to blogging.

CatBookMom said...

OK, so you're moving my 3 sock UFOs closer to the top of the To Be Finished list. Sorry that the legs turned out wonky. I haven't done toe-up socks, so my 2 finished pairs fit OK there; my nemesis is the heel, of course.

Glad to know you're feeling more chipper and ready to jump into more projects.

mehitabel said...

Couch time is good. Love the Gallic shrug--bof! I'll have to make use of that when I get to France, non? The FBS is looking nifty, too--I'm glad to hear it's such a pleasant knit, because I'm worried about coming down off the Lady E high!

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry that the socks don't fit, they do look so lovely though! But you're right, it'd be wrong to quit knitting socks now for good, it's time to move on to the second pair and this one will, just knit and see, be the perfectly fitting pair!
And I'm really glad that you're feeling better - do take good care of yourself and take it easy for a while, will you?

BrownPants said...

oh i've been struggling with sock construction too. I think I have an unnaturally large heel. It's quite wierd. (and i'm glad i'm not the only one who does the achy = breaky heart word association...it's quite reassuring...)

LadyLinoleum said...

Too bad the socks don't fit because the colorway is awesome! Next time...

I'm a repeat pattern junkie too.

BTW, I love the Big Lebowski too!