Thursday, July 19, 2007

Girly Girl

Pattern: Triangle by Pick Up Sticks!
Yarn: Cascade 220 - 2 skeins 7805 (MC) and 1.25 skeins 9404 (CC)
Needles: US 10 Addi 24" circs
Mods: Because I'm a symmetry fan (i.e. mental, since the bag is felted and it matters not), I subbed ssks on the right side when decreasing. Omitted the over-stitching around the top and handles.
Rating: 100 million heart candies

Just below my cynical, spooky exterior hides a gooey, twee center that's surprising even to me sometimes. Take this bag. That I knit it - in pink! and red! together! - is an example of my submerged girliness. (It's also what led to me to dress in what I call Amish Punk - thrifted 50s floral patterned dresses with black stockings and my Doc Martens boots - for years...but I digress.)

When I saw the pattern at Stitches West I thought, that's kinda cute, bought it and forgot about it. Fast forward to a few weeks ago, when I craved a mindless project to fill in between my Mystery Stole (stalled on row 100) and CPH (stalled on the button band). It fit the bill, so I worked on it at knitting group. Mindlessly. Two days ago I finished it, felted it, threw it on the top of the dryer to dry and forgot about it. Then yesterday, as I was checking it for dryness, I discovered I love it soooo much.

Over the years I've owned scores of vintage purses with this exact shape. They've been black patent leather, or faux leopard print fur, or dark navy leather, or black velveteen. But never pink. And red. Together.

So, if ever you're channeling Hello Kitty or June Cleaver and looking for a purse to make, this is the pattern for you. It's easy. And just so gosh darn cute.

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

CUTE! I have a vintage red patent leather purse that shape. Love it!

mehitabel said...

OOOOH! Cuteness! And not twee at all! Love that you can accessorize it with your different pins--how cool is that? And when the black one is done, you can add a skull pin or pumpkin or pink flower pin depending on your mood! (Or maybe even a knitted/felted sushi/bcd?)

Liz K. said...

Um, do you collect McCoy pottery, because I do too.

That purse is damn cute, and I love your vintage pins. I was so pissed when brooches were trendy, since I wore them for a long time before that. Bitches, stealing my look.

pacalaga said...

I am SO NOT a girly girl, and I so deeply covet that bag I don't know what to do with myself. Covetcovetcovetcovet.... I even have the perfect pin for the front. Was my mother's. MUST. MAKE.

Debi said...

So cute and the pins just seal the deal!!

pacalaga said...

PS - I went to ravelry to add it to my queue, and yours is WAY cuter than the designer's version. I'd never have given it another look until I saw yours.

Anonymous said...

freaking awesome, love! I can't imagine a better colour combo than red and pink. You did an amazing job and it looks FANTASTIC!! Supah!!

LotusKnits said...

Oh I love it!! Super cute. And I like every single pin with it too. Genius.

Macoco said...

Extremely cute. I'm bad at putting color combos together and never would have thought of pink and red. It works so well though! That last pin is my favorite. Love that touch of burgundy.

Ellen Bloom said...

Barbie Doll would be proud of you.

Darling bag!!! Look at how many comments you have! Once again...so popular!

Annette said...

I luv, luv, luv it! I must have one! And the pin idea is brilliant. I think I'm going to start collecting vintage pins. The possibilities are endless! :)

Annette said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
mary said...

It's so freakin' cute! I love it, especially the daisy brooch in the first picture. I think I might have to agree that this bag is cuter than the vertical stripes bag that I have the pattern for.

jillian said...

Squeeeee! I knew there was girly girl in there along with the skulls :) I love your rating system!

Jenn said...

It looks awesome in those colors! I bought the pattern a while ago because it seemed cute but the one the store had was kinda boring from the colors. I so need to follow your lead and go Hello Kitty pinks.

Anonymous said...

K mama that bag turned out super adorable! Nice work!!
Now I want to do one! How much yarn did you use?

Anonymous said...

Madge, that bag is ADORABLE! I do believe I'm going to have to knit me up one of those...

Octopus Knits said...

Love the bag, and your gothic scarf if lovely (as are those other yarns). Re-your comment on my blog: Unfortunately I don't have a four leaf clover... but if I did, I'd totally loan it to you!

RoxyK said...

LOVE the bag. Its too cute ;)

Those handles look really sturdy too unlike some I've seen. I really must make another felted bag soon.....

KSee said...

Just love it! Bags are the great filler in for kniting mindlessly