Monday, July 09, 2007

Pass the Wasabi

Knowing that I find knitted/crocheted food delightfully whimsical, Mary presented me with this cute sushi wallet kit for my birthday. A couple of weeks ago I needed something to offset all the lace I've been knitting, so I dug it out of stash, sat down and whipped it up.

It's the perfect project for a new knitter/felter. (Felter? Felt maker? Person who felts?) Super easy to knit and assemble (two hours tops), this little (roughly 7.5"x 5") bag makes a great carrier for my iPod. The only detractor is the sushi itself; the white yarn (as white yarn is wont to do) didn't felt, and my California roll ended up looking more like a birth control device than something you'd want to dip in soy sauce and nibble on. Ah, well, so it's an artistic interpretation of sushi, right?

Pattern: Sushi Wallet from Pick Up Sticks!
Yarn: Included in kit
Needles: US 10 Addis
Mods: None
Rating: 3 out of 5 California rolls

Other food patterns to dig into and enjoy:
Regina's meat series - Seriously, what's not to love about felted cheeseburgers? (check out her June 19, 2007 post, "Felt the Meat")
Jean Greenhowe's Jiffyknits - Ms. Greenhowe makes spaghetti and meatballs, boiled eggs, cookies...and you can, too. (also, some scary ass clown dolls, if you're into that sort of thing)
Rachel Matthews' Knitorama - Feel like a crocheted pint of stout? Or how about a jelly roll? If so, here's the book for you.

11 comments:

CatBookMom said...

I am ROFL at your comment about the way the white yarn turned out. Snicker, snicker, snort!

And I *love* the Buffyquotes. That was the episode about the girl who was so ignored that she became invisible, right?

mary said...

I love the little california roll bag! Glad it was a nice break from the tough lace.

mehitabel said...

The bag is cute, snarky comments notwithstanding! But I think I'll take my stout in liquid, drinkable form, TYVM!

Annette said...

Super cute! Now I want some sushi. Small projects can be the perfect distraction when needed. I just started a hat for a friend. A break from the grey sweater.

Anonymous said...

This is totally awesome - the perfect break from all the lace it seems! I sure would love some sushi now!

Curly Cable said...

Lovely cute bag, perfect size for an ipod! You know what they say, a change is as good as a rest, esp from all the complicated lacework ;-)

LotusKnits said...

LOVE the Buffy scene!

And the sushi wallet too, of course. And your comment about the white yarn...still giggling.

Anonymous said...

I love your sushi wallet!! I have one and always thought the sushi looked like a giant ovum. I almost put some little felted sperm on mine to see if anyone noticed. hehe

Ellen Bloom said...

Heh heh...device..heh heh.
The iPod holder turned out beautifully. Yayyyy for procrastination projects!

jillian said...

It's an IUD bag!! Just kidding :) I think it's adorable!

LadyLinoleum said...

Knitorama is good. I also have her other book. Crochetorama. That one is a gem too!