Friday, February 02, 2007

Poem

Today is the Second Annual Brigid in Cyberspace Silent Poetry Reading.

* * *

San Joaquin Valley No. 1

A teenage girl
works the night shift
at a self-serve gas station
in Modesto.

She says little
but what she does say
is without a smile and through a hole
in the window.

She wears
an orange and pink uniform
under the shadowless
yellow fluroescent lights.

All the customers
make jokes
as a cold wind blows
across the valley
but
she doesn't laugh.

~ Dave Alvin, Any Rough Times Are Now Behind You: Selected Poems and Writings

4 comments:

mary said...

Dude, you're way deep. I like.

mehitabel said...

Yeah, I agree--that's really deep. I really like the title of his book, though I wish I could believe it...

Anonymous said...

Very beautiful and meaningful poem - thanks so much for sharing!

Ellen Bloom said...

Yeah, Dave is one of my LA faves. I've known him for almost 20 years and his poetry and songs never cease to amaze me!!!

By the way, isn't the new Porto's absolutely amaziing?