Friday, February 09, 2007

This One's for Mom

Pattern: Flower Basket Scarf/Shawl by Evelyn A. Clark
Yarn: Knit Picks Gloss - 1 1/2 balls
Needles: Bryspun US 6 29" circs
Mods: None
Final dimensions: 41" x 22"
Rating: Pure knitting satisfaction

Flower Basket has been in my to-do pattern queue for a good long while, and when my Mom asked for a small black lace scarf I knew it was finally time to give it a whirl. And I'm so glad I did. I used fingering weight yarn (Knit Picks Gloss from stash), made the scarf size (seven repeats), and the thing practically knit itself!

This time last year I was just learning how to knit lace...and what a difference twelve months' worth of knitting makes. Now, this is a simple lace pattern, but what a pleasure it was to completely understand the directions and the charts, to be able to follow the pattern of the knitting, to knit the entire thing without dropping a stitch or ripping back rows to fix a mistake. (If you see any, please let me live in ignorance about them. Merci.) I feel empowered to try more difficult lace patterns now, and maybe even tackle my Hanging Garden Shawl again. Pretty cool.

P.S. If you have FBS in your to-do queue, let me pass on some advice given by my friend Patty: If you have it, use the Interweave Knits version of the pattern instead of the Fiber Trends one. The IK directions are much easier to follow.

13 comments:

Annette said...

That is stunning Madge! Your Mom is going to love it. I can't wait to see what you'll be knitting 12 months from now. You've aced the lace!

mehitabel said...

Great pics of a great FO! Now watch your email for some more...

Lady Misty Morn said...

BEE-YOU-TEE-FULL job!

jillian said...

Gaw-geous! And in black. You are one impressive knitter! Gotta get back to work!

mary said...

I think you should change your name to LaceDevil! Good job, knitting field. Will you teach me to knit lace? I'm sure you're better at it than I am at teaching socks. I really want to a FBS.

catsmum said...

I'm glad Mehitabel posted a link to you or I'd never have seen your gorgeous shawl :]
and I don't mind doing a letter if you'd care to assign me one
cheers from downunder

LisaW. said...

your fbs is beautiful. I'm still stalled with Kiri's edging..but I'm gonna take her out of timeout once the Lady E's done. I'm enjoying your blog for the first time! great knitting devil!

Anonymous said...

Oh my Gawd, tha's Gawgeous!! And I thought I had patience! You are inspiring, m'dear.
Thanks for the B.

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh! This is absolutely and totally amazing and stunning - and I'm not exaggerating here! What a fantastic job you did with this project - you knit it up so beautifully, and the blocking job you did looks absolutely professional! Your Mom's going to love it, that's for sure!

Anonymous said...

Looks great - lucky Mom!

Anonymous said...

Lovely, big sister.

Now that you've done one for mom...how about one for me?! 8-)

BrownPants said...

It's lovely! Yay for your mum and Yay for your knitting skills!

RoxyK said...

Wow - its beautiful, I'm so impressed ;)

Especially as I've tried and failed at lace - just don't have the patience I'm afraid....