Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Stitches West Loot

Hey, wanna see some yarn? Here's what came home with me from Stitches.

First up are nine 4-oz. skeins of Black Water Abbey 2-ply worsted weight in Pippin (100% wool, 220 yds.). Of all the vendors, BWA was the one I most wanted to visit at the show. It didn't disappoint. It was my first stop, and as I greedily snarfed up these skeins I heard one of the saleswomen say, "There goes the green." I'm hoping the luck o' this Irish yarn helps me break my current sweater curse; it's earmarked for Knitscene's Central Park Hoodie.



As soon as I finished with Black Water Abbey I hightailed over to Blue Moon Fiber Arts. What a mob scene. I'd heard about past shows and thought my loins were girded tightly enough, but reality was still a shocker. Luckily, Marie headed there first thing and scored us both skeins of Lucy (100% superwash merino, 360 yds.) - thanks, Marie! - before they sold out. I've had my eye on this colorway for months, along with Lemongrass, and am so pleased they're now part of stash.

I also bought a skein of their heavy weight (100% superwash merino, 350 yds.) in Ruby Slippers, which you can see here amidst the Koigu KPM (100% merino, 175 yds.) I bought from a new-to-me online vendor, Foxyknits.

From left to right the Koigu colors are 1180/scarlet, 2400/black, 1160/burgundy, and 1100/tomato red. The scarlet is earmarked for a Flower Basket Scarf for my sister; the rest is for stash. The 1160 looked almost black under the convention lighting, but once you get it in natural light it turns into this amazing color. Nice, yes?

Next up are two new discoveries - Chasing Rainbows Dyeworks' tussah/merino in Sandalwood (280 yds.)

and Honey Lane Farms' DK weight alpaca (100% alpaca, 215 yds.) in Forest. This yarn is very soft and cushy, and it comes in lots of colors. So many, in fact, that it took me forever to choose this green.

Here's an outside shot so you can see the heathered shading a little better.

Finally, the trip just wouldn't have been complete without some lace weight, and 7/2 Spun Silk (100% silk, 875 yds.) from the Village Spinning and Weaving Shop fit the bill perfectly.

No doubt about it - Stitches West was a success!

14 comments:

mary said...

Aaaaaaahhhhhh, yarn... I want to go and roll in my new stash now.

Lady Misty Morn said...

Lovely haul! Can you send your stash up here so I can roll in it. I promise to return it mostly intact.

Anonymous said...

Dude! I'm going to have to hold another stash contest now that you've stocked up so well at Stitches West! Ha ha! Glad you had such a great time shopping and your choices are all absolutely gorgeous!! Nice choice of yarn for the Central Park Hoodie too. Can't wait to see it get knitted up. I'll send some good sweater knitting ju-ju your way.

Carson said...

Loot!
the koigu 1160...drool

Anonymous said...

nice loot! i loooove your heathery green yarns. and that silk!! so jealous. :P

Annette said...

Ooooo! Awwww! And look at you being lured by the reds and burgundies. Very nice!

Anonymous said...

Gosh, the yarn goodness! Yummy, absolutely yummy! I can't for the life of me pick a favourite yarn of the ones you've shown, they're all totally amazing - and mind you, I can't wait to see what you're going to make with all this goodness, especially the Central Park Hoodie!

jillian said...

No doubt indeed! I didn't know you had some STR Lemongrass too, like Mary. What a hoot that we all sometimes buy the exact same colors. You can ungird your loins now :)

Lyndsey-Jane said...

WOW!! I'm speechless, that loot is gorgeous. I love the colours, they are just the shades I would have gone for - you have great taste!

CatBookMom said...

Wa-HOOO! What a haul! You got some great yarns and great colors. Glad you scored some STR 'Lucy'; Wendy's Lucy is the inspiration for a great colorway.

I think you got the same color of alpaca from Honey Lane Farms that I did. That is SO soft!!

What did you think about the yarns at Brooks Farm? I saw that Sknitty brought some home. Or did you stop at Interlacements?

Anonymous said...

Wow- get a load of your haul (I haven't even posted about mine yet- not that it's anywhere as impressive as yours)! Nice job! I'm so glad we ran into each other- and took the same class, too- what are the odds! :)

BrownPants said...

oh god Madge you've no idea how jealous I am. Koigu and STR? It shouldn't be legal. I haven't ever even seen these yarns in real life! (yarn in australia sucks, despite the proliferation of sheep:)

Anonymous said...

That Black Water Abby is delicious. I love GREEN. Can't wait to see your hoodie. I didn't hit Village Spinners and Weavers this time because I go there all the time when I am at the coast, that spun silk makes me wish I had paid them a visit.

karrie said...

I love the look of the black water abbey yarn. how did I miss that booth??