Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Largesse

On Sunday Sknitty, CatBookMom, Mary and I hit Unwind's annual No Football All Yarn Superbowl sale. There were great deals to be had - all regular yarn was 30% off, sale yarn was 50% off, and everything else was 15% off. And if you arrived before opening, you got an additional 10% off your total amount. Now, you know me and a bargain...well, of course we went early, and we weren't the only ones. It was a total mob scene. Once those doors opened that yarn didn't stand a chance.

First up, the sale stuff. This is all for stash.

From left to right: Katia Mississippi 3 (shade 721 - kinda washed out, but it's your run of the mill baby blue), Lamb's Pride Worsted (155 Lemon Drop, 65 Sapphire and 110 Orange You Glad), and Louet Gems Pearl (Terracotta).

Next up are two balls of Nashua Handknits Creative Focus Superwash (shades 35 and 2). This is my practice yarn for my Project Spectrum Bea Ellis headband. Which I need to get working on.

And finally, the good stuff. Appears I just can't pass up a nice chartreuse, can I?

Clockwise from the top: Rowan Natural Silk Aran (shade 462 Palm Leaf), Sweet Georgia Handpainted Lace (Willow), Sweet Georgia Superwash Sock (Willow) and Artyarns Supermerino (shade 133).

I've been curious about Rowan's Natural Silk Aran, and bought a couple of balls to make another pair of fingerless gloves. Probably Fetching, though the tweediness might obscure the pattern; if so, I'll go with something simpler. I'd only seen SG's lace yarn on her website before this, and was very happy to score some. I've never used any of the Artyarns yarn, but just had to buy three skeins, which will be enough for a pair of socks (or gloves or a scarf) because the price was too good to pass up.

It was quite the event! Owner Stephanie and her staff outdid themselves, offering friendly service and lots of finger food and beverages in addition to the great sale prices. There really was a party atmosphere, and even the obligatory LA star sighting (he was buying lots of chunky yarn). The only detractor was that we had to wait an hour and forty five minutes to check out. I'm not sure if they were caught off guard with the amount of customers they had, or what, but if they do it again next year (and I assume they will), I hope they rent another cash register or two.

Afterwards Sknitty and I dragged ourselves half a block up to Porto's Bakery for a much needed lunch, and then hit the highway and headed home. Managed to catch the last of the game with Tom while working on my Flower Basket shawl, which was the perfect ending to a fun-filled day.

Not a lot of other knitting news. I'm about to cast off my first fingerless glove, and am on the seventh of seven repeats of Flower Basket. I'm really enjoying the Project Spectrum site, but admit to being a total slacker myself about it so far. (My recovery from surgery is taking longer than expected, and is slowing me down. But I have plans! big plans! for jumping in whole hog when I'm 100% again.) Now I'm off to do some recon about sewing together Mr. Square. He's my first toy, and I'm not exactly sure how to sew his arms and legs on...so if anyone has any Jess Hutch toy experience, I'd love to hear how you did it.

7 comments:

Lady Misty Morn said...

Oh, now that's quite a haul, I'm sorry I missed it.

jillian said...

Reading your post made me feel like I was there again! What a day. I didn't notice that you had gone chartreuse crazy! Thanks for keeping me company!

CatBookMom said...

Great description of the fun and frolic and standing-room-only-ness. Yep, Stephanie should take note and get another checker. Checker on Aisle 2, please!

It was fun to meet you and Jillian, got great yarns, and OMG, girl, you DID do chartreuse! I remember how jazzed you were to find the Willow, but by that time I was too overwhelmed by people and color and texture to appreciate your great find!

mary said...

That chartreuse rocks the house, girl. And you know what a big fan I am of the choco and lite blue. Can't wait to see that done up in the bea ellis headband. Yarn shopping with you is always a great time, even when I'm uninspired. I'm kicking myself that I didn't get any of that Nashua now. Doh!

Anonymous said...

Gosh, how great - I would *so* have loved to join you! And what an amazing haul - this yarn rocks big time, all of it! Yummy colours!

RoxyK said...

Oh yes, now that is what I call a haul ;) Very impressive!

Thanks for coming out of lurkdown and posting on my blog - its lovely to 'know' who is reading it.

Heather Moore said...

Have you seen Jesse's knitted toys? check out her jezzeblog.blogspot.com site, or follow the link in my sidebar. They're fab, and she's always happy to share ideas, patterns, etc.