Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Heel

Can you dig it? Thanks to Barbara's bad self, yesterday I turned the heel on the socklet. Momentous, folks, momentous. Also confusing. I think my main problem with sock heels is that I don't really know how to do short rows. I never know when to wrap, or turn, or wrap again, or slip, or whatever. It's a concern which I shall rectify in the next couple of days by watching my Lucy Neatby DVD. And as soon as I get short rows down, I'll be unstoppable. Because have you seen these? I need to make a similar pair. (mine will have wider stripes)

Knitting has been reined in over the last few days. The weather has been gorgeous, and I've been gardening instead. (note the dirt under my thumbnail in the sock photo above - oops)

In addition to the socklets, I've worked a bit on my Central Park Hoodie. The back is done, and I've begun the left side. I started out working both sides at once, but the yarn is so grabby the two strands became horribly tangled and almost felted together as I knit with them. So, a little bit of rip, another cast on, and I'm merrily on my way. To stave off imminent boredom, I've given myself two months to finish this project. Since it's green, it's my main project for this round of Project Spectrum colors (green, yellow, pink), which ends in May. Other tentative Project Spectrum knits include Pick Up Sticks' Triangle purse in pink (and red), and maybe a scarf or two. Dunno, I might even be knitting another pair of socks!

10 comments:

Carson said...

I can totally to. tal. ly dig it.
The heel turn is a mysterious, momentous and fabulous thing.
And the short row thing? I found that this article by Amy Swenson at Knitty helped me a LOT with the wrap & turn part of the short row.
http://www.knitty.com/issuesummer06/PATTuniversalsock.html

mehitabel said...

Way to go! Isn't it fun to be knitting up some of that great yarn?? Your CPH is coming right along, and so are your socklets. Now if the marigolds will just take hold and grow...

jillian said...

Hooray!!! Knew you could do it.

CatBookMom said...

You're doing great, and that's a fine heel. You'll get more practice with the second sock next week. I'm off to check Carson's link to Knitty knowledge. And take a look at that Socks 101 link I sent you; it's pretty darned good, and now you've done it, it will make more sense to you.

Anonymous said...

You'll be doing great with the short row heels, I have no doubt about that! You'll get so used to do them after a couple of tries that you'll be able to do short row heels in your sleep - believe me ;) Yay for you!

BrownPants said...

You'll totally ace it, no worries :)

jayne said...

Socklet is lookin' good. You couldn't have a nicer teacher. Mmmmm....Koigu...I'm pretty sure I have that green mix in the middle of the group. I have about half a sock done in some of that. Here a sock. There a sock. Everywhere a sock sock. You'll be sock knitting crazy woman before you know it.

cher said...

You're a bone-a-fide sock knitter! Great work! Love that striped sock pattern. I want to garden sooo bad, but I guess cleaning up the flooded house is more important.Darn!

knitnzu said...

Your heel is looking good! I felt like I'd taken a huge step when I incorporated that shortrow thing into a sweater back to make it longer without making the sides longer. magic. Oh, and those witchy socks are way cool. Thanks for stopping by.

mary said...

Yay! Lucky has a heel! Happy Belated Bday. Here's to another wonderful year chock full 'o knittin' fun.