Thursday, April 19, 2007

Hey Zeus

Today's post is going to be one of those hodge podge ones where trying to find continuity between anything is just silly. So please bear with me.

Most important news first: Mary's a winner! Her guess of "zero" dollars spent at Black Sheep Knittery was the closest to the $10.79 I spent there last weekend. Congrats, Mary! And thanks to all who played.

Kinda amazing that I got out of there spending that little, no? Well, it was the third time I'd been to the sale, but even so...my brain just froze when faced with the beautiful yarn, and all I walked away with with a copy of Lucy Neatby's Cool Socks Warm Feet.

* * *

I've finished the Central Park Hoodie's back and left side, and have begun working on the right. For a couple of weeks serious boredom with it hit, but that's passed, and I'm once again happily knitting away. Only slowly. Very, very slowly. I have no idea what's up, but I'm in the running for the world's biggest knitting slacker award. Luckily other people aren't having this problem - go check out Carson's gorgeously scarlet Ultra Raglan. Which she knit in 11 days. That grrl has it going on.

* * *

More inspiration: On May 1st Sivia Harding's Yahoo group, SiviaHardingKnits, begins a KAL for her Gothic Leaf Stole. I've had this simple shawl on my to-do list for over a year, and am very tempted to finally knit the darn thing. Anyone want to join me? This photo shows the pattern made using Euroflax sport weight linen, and I adore how it looks. Totally blows away the Knit Picks Gloss (in Pumpkin, no less - what am I thinking?! a pumpkin orange shawl? crikey, that's a crazy idea) I was up until this moment contemplating using. Hmm. Best revisit my stash and/or hunt down some Euroflax pronto.

* * *

Finally, for the crocheters amongst us, what do you think of the spring Interweave Crochet? This issue is the first helmed by Kim Werker, editor of the Crochet Me e-mag and author of several crochet books (including Crochet Me, being published by IK this fall). IK announced Werker's editorship right before they announced Eunny Jang's. I find it interesting that IK is recruiting its staff from the blogosphere.

I'm anxiously awaiting publication of Teva Durham's Loop-d-loop Crochet. Can't wait to see what this visionary designer does with granny squares - check out that coat? poncho? on the cover!

* * *

Okay, I've babbled at you enough. Better go knit something before I forget how. Stay cool.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I could be wrong, but I think Crystal has some Euroflax linen at Black Sheep Knittery (yeah I finally went to the sale). Pretty sure I held it my hot little hand. Call her, because an orange shawl? Seriously?

Email me if you decide to go on Saturday ( slowknitter AT sbcglobal DOT net) I might be able to meet you there.

Liz K. said...

Well, you pointed me to several corners of blogland previously unknown to me. I'd never been to Carson's blog nor had I seen that stole. Gorgeous!

mary said...

Unraveled has Euroflax linen and everything is 25% off right now! No joke! The sale goes through Saturday; maybe Tom will give you a ride? Thanks for hosting a contest easy enough for me to win!

Anonymous said...

That Gothic Leaf Stole is beautiful! Do it! :)

LotusKnits said...

That shawl is going to be smokin! And the linen would really rock.

I combated my cph boredom by knitting both fronts at the same time. Then I screwed up the neck shaping and had to reknit it. Ahem.

jayne said...

I'm totally envying that CPH. The green is perfect for Project Spectrum too.

The stole is going to be gorgeous!

jillian said...

Happily knitting again - hooray!!

And Mary beat me to it - I was gonna say doesn't Unraveled have Louet? On sale? I am so going in there tomorrow! Want me to pick you up?

Ellen Bloom said...

I've been a longtime admirer of Kim Werker's crochet patterns. I think her premier issue as editor of "Interweave Crochet" has a realy good selection of projects, styles of stitches, yarns, etc. She's an excellent addition to the magazine!

Can't wait for Teva's book too! Thanks for telling me about it.

mehitabel said...

Lots of stuff in this post! I'm working both fronts of my CPH and will be back to them as soon as I find another stitch holder--seriously, I probably have 30 or so, and found exactly ONE. I will pay close attention not to screw up the neck shaping...So far I have managed to put off going to Unraveled but I may weaken yet. I really need to get that stash wrangled and under control first, though!

Anonymous said...

Oh yummy, what a gorgeous scarf this is - totally unique pattern, I so can't wait to see your first progress shots of it! And your CPH is coming along so beautifully - I can well imagine that the stockinette parts of the pattern were getting a bit boring, but now you're certainly a lot closer to finishing it - yay for that!

BrownPants said...

Pumpkin? What were you thinking indeed. Someone tried to dress me in orange as a bridesmaid once...I was very clear that I had no desire to look like a Cheezle...
It's a beautiful stole.

Annette said...

I love that stole! Can't wait to see what color you choose. CPH is looking great. I think I'm going to cave and visit Black Sheep Monday before I go to work in the afternoon. Wanna join me?

Anonymous said...

Your CPH is coming along well.....Yours has inspired me and I ordered the some yarn 2 days ago that I think will be alloted for my very own CPH. What color are you thinking for the Gothic Leaf? I have yet to complete any lace..you must let us know how this pattern is....perhaps you will be some more inspiration.

Anonymous said...

Oh, gosh... I guess I am in the minority here given my mad crush on the color orange. I'm still in my "what the hell does k4 p2 yo kfb omgwtf mean" stage in learning to knit, but I SO want to do the CPH. I love it!