Thursday, April 12, 2007

Those Were the Days

Thanks, everyone, for the birthday wishes! They've made my week.

Which has been another one light on knitting. Spring fever wanes, but a slew of new distractions have popped up. Barbara and I did manage to get the heel turned and the gusset started on one of the socklets. At the moment I'm using 6 (!) 5" dpns on the thing, in an attempt to get it back down to a manageable number of stitches to finish off the foot and toe. I feel a frisson of delight each time I look at it. Close. Victory is so close.

I'm also nearly finished with the left side of the CPH, but it looks exactly like what I've shown before photo-wise, and I'll spare you the redundancy. And that's it.

The iPod obsession continues. I've begun importing our CDs into our computer, and am up to C (Nick Cave). Aside: Have you seen him lately? A handlebar mustache that would make any biker proud graces his upper lip, with thinning hair above. And his latest project, Grinderman, harkens back to his earlier, wilder days. Nostalgia personified.

Get out your scarlet lipstick and your pearl inlaid .22s: Tonight begins the 8th Annual Festival of Film Noir at the Egyptian Theater in Hollywood. From now until May 2nd feast your fill of detectives, dames and the doomed souls who haunt the mean streets of 1940s and 50s Hollywood and New York. Delicious!

Speaking of New York noir, I just finished reading Charlie Huston's hardboiled vampire tale, Already Dead. Huston has done a great job of recreating the noir antihero as vampire detective. And though eventually the forced hipster tone grated and the plot disappointingly devolved into sordid Andrew Vachss territory with a mad scientist/zombie overlay, I did enjoy the premise. My favorite moments? The top hat wearing biker vamp gang rescue, and the constant squabbling of the passive aggressive hypocritical hippy vamp leader and his motley band of minions.

And the new/old goodies just keep coming: issue 2 of Buffy Season 8 just hit my doorstep. I'm off to listen to The Lyre of Orpheus and give it a read. Hope everyone's distractions - knitting and other - are proving as fun as mine.

8 comments:

mary said...

Sometimes we are so close in understanding each other and then there are the other times. Like this one. Who the heck are Nick Cave, Charlie Huston, Andrew Vachss and The Lyre of Orpheus? Okay, I get the film noir thing, though.

LotusKnits said...

The comic shops in my town are sold out of #2 and I can't seem to get it. Gonna order online I guess!

Yay on your sock!! Did you love turning the heel? that's my favorite part. It makes me feel so smart in the face of all my grad work making me feel so very stupid.

jillian said...

Arghhhhhhhhh. I missed your birthday! Happy Belated Birthday Madge! I hope it was swell :)

mehitabel said...

Perseverance in loading the iPod will pay off--cause then you can take it and your knitting out to the garden and multitask with music, knitting, and flower/bee watching. I've stalled out on loading mine--The Daughter is loading hers, and we're using the same library, so there's twice the music, twice the fun, and a whole lotta schizophrenia where musical taste is concerned. Ozomatli? U2? Dixie Chicks? All on the same ipod!

CatBookMom said...

You are a stellar sock student! I don't recognize any of the names, but I do remember our conversation about Mickey Spillane and related mystery writers.

And yes, I'll bring my poor, languishing iPod next week, for lessons from you. See ya!

Anonymous said...

Seeing how determined you are with knitting these socks, they just *have* to become a real success - and as I see it, they already are! You're doing great with them, and yep, victory is so close! You GO, girl!
Ahhh, Nick Cave! Those were the days... I was pretty shocked seeing him with that mustache, oy, I so don't like mustaches ;) But then again, if he's still doing that fascinating sound that he did years back, then I so don't care how he looks ;)
You asked in your reply to my last comment if I have an IPod - oops, no, I don't have one ;( I basically only listen to music when I'm in front of my PC, from the PC - but reading about your IPod experiences, I realized that I totally need such a lil' toy too ;)
And oh, Film Noir - we have so much in common it seems, how great is that?! I totally adore these old flicks, some of them are so freakin' bad that they're really good again, and some others that I've seen are just time- and priceless, absolute classics. How great would it be watching a couple of these goodies together with a bit of knitting and chatting along with it?

Anonymous said...

Oooo, lots of good stuffs in this post today!! Joss Whedon *drool*!!
That film Noir thing sounds great! Seriously, I wish we lived closer together cause we have a lot of very similar tastes in...well...everything!
Enjoy the Lyre of Orpheus!!
The socks look awesome. Keep going, you can do it. :-) SIX NEEDLES! OI!
M

cher said...

Ahhh, Nick Cave, swooooon...
Ive only heard 3 of the Grinderman tracks, and I like. The guitars as mesmerizing as his eyes. Love him with Birthday Party and Bad Seeds too.oohhh swoooon...again.