Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Day Trippin'

Remarkably, little knitting was done this holiday weekend. Instead, Tom, who often has to work on holidays, was off, and we spent the days roaming around our neighborhood, grilling in our backyard, and seeing the dreadful mishmash of a movie that is Superman 3.

Yesterday was especially nice. First up was breakfast at Dish, then a visit with Barbara at our local Coffee Bean. After that we spent a few hours enjoying the blooms and bees at Descanso Gardens, and then came home and kicked back. Very relaxing.

On the knitting front, CPH is in time out. The sleeves are finished and blocked.

The shoulders are sewn.

The hood is a nightmare. I picked up the requisite 86 stitches. I started knitting. I dropped stitches. I miscrossed the first set of cables. I dropped more stitches. I ripped, and I knit, and I ripped some more. Then I threw it, crumpled, into my knitting bag, where it sits, waiting for the hood to be completely frogged back. The easiest knitting in the world, and it's messing with me. Bad CPH. Like Mary, my attention is wandering, my fingers itching for a new project.

On the kitty front, the taming of Fiend continues. He'll come into the house when our other cat Maggie is in the backyard, but he's still very, very skittish. We're pulling out all our kitty tricks - wet food, calm voices, soft petting, cat toys and catnip - and just being patient. None of the neighbors have claimed him, and common household things like the TV freak him out, so we're assuming he's a true stray. His feistiness is fading, and he's purring, and kneading his front paws, and rubbing up against us now. Meredith called it: He's sneaky sweet, and we're like butter on hot toast.

When I wasn't visiting with Fiend or tussling with CPH, I was downloading my first podcasts. Do I win an award for last person in knitting blogland to do so? Annette wrote up a good overview of some of her listens, and I finally downloaded the latest episodes of Cast On, Stash and Burn, and Lime and Violet. Any others you recommend?

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hear you on the CPH. I'm seaming the sleeves to the front and back now because a) I'm not looking forward to the hood and b) I have a feeling if I do the hood now I won't seam the sucker til fall!

mary said...

Sounds like it was a nice holiday yesterday. Bad CPH! Bad girl! Time out in the corner!

Carson said...

Descanso gardens look beautiful.
And I think CPH needs a little time out if it's giving you the willies.
OH, and I haven't done the podcast thing either.

Annette said...

Descanso does look beautiful. Sounds like a nice relaxing weekend. :) Your sooo close to finishing CPH! Take it out from time out, take a deep breath and finish that bad girl.

Anonymous said...

The taming of the Fiend! Ha! As for podcasts, you may also want to try The Knitting Cook. :)

Anonymous said...

CPH seems to like to be in time out, mine ended up there a few times too. let her sulk for a bit, I found when I did, it was much easier to continue once I got back to it.

Curly Cable said...

The Descanso gardens look beautiful and sounds like you had a lovely relaxing break. Its a shame your CPH is giving you so much grief, cause it really is looking gorgeous, such a shame about the pesky hood, if I was you I'd leave it for a bit and wait until you have some calm free time, to give it another go, I'm glad 'fiend' is starting to settle more and I'm so glad he's found such a loving family to care for him ;-)

Anonymous said...

gorgeous gardens!! Looks very relaxing. You and Mary are starting to scare me as I approach finishing the sleeves of my CPH...the hood sounds like it is challanging. Check out "It's a Purl Man" and "Sticks and Strings" podcast, they are both hosted by men, which I think is very cool, and they are super informative and make me spend lots of money on yarn and such.

jillian said...

Ah, Descanso. Sounds like a truly wonderful day!

Maybe put down the CPH for a little while and go back?

Ellen Bloom said...

Oooo...Descanso Gardens. I haven't been there in decades. Descanso looks much more relaxing than Clifton's Cafeteria. Good choice.

Ha! I love that you've animated your WIPs and given them a "time-out." You are soooo funny, Madge! When are YOU going to write a book? Too bad your middle name isn't "Purl."

mehitabel said...

My CPH sat and sulked because it didn't get to come to France, but I was able to get back to it yesterday. Still stranded on Sleeve Island, chugging my way up to the armhole decreases. Sat with Mary while she picked up the front band stitches yesterday--oy vey! I might be spending a LOT more time with the Paris scarf! (Which thanks you very much, by the way!)