Monday, May 14, 2007

Look, Ma - a FO!

Knitting does occur around these here parts. I know, I almost don't believe it myself, but I have proof: May I present to you my sister's Flower Basket shawl, graciously modeled by Mary.

Pattern: Flower Basket Shawl by Evelyn A. Clark
Yarn: Koigu KPM - I've lost the bands, so let's go with red, shall we? - 2 skeins
Needles: Bryspun US 5 29" circs
Mods: Went down a needle size
Final dimensions: 47" x 21"
Rating: A+

Knitting this pattern a second time was just as enjoyable as the first. Y'all know about my mad Koigu crush, and this semi-solid shade did nothing but reinforce it. I prefer tonal shading much more than variegation in my yarn when knitting lace, and this yarn runs from pinkish in spots to scarlet. I like this hand-dyed aspect of the shawl, and hope that my sister does, too.

I've yet to swatch for lace (does anyone swatch for lace?), so jumped right in on this one as usual. I went down a needle size, though, as I knit lace loosey goosey. While knitting, I felt like I was knitting very tightly, but the stitches really opened up after washing, and the next time I use Koigu I'll probably go down one more needle size. Wanting to squeeze as much as I could out of the yarn, I knit eight main repeats, and had just the right amount of yarn left over. You know that amount, don't you? I call it the Three Bears' amount: not too little that you're stressing over if you'll run out, and not too much that you're resentful that you had to dive into another skein to finish just a little bit. Ahh, just right.

Taking a trick I learned from my red Diamond Fantasy shawl, I first soaked the shawl in cool water with a big glug of vinegar. I didn't want the red to bleed and fade, and this set the color nicely. I then soaked the shawl in Soak. I have about a ten-year supply of Eucalan, but Soak samples have shown up now and then with yarn orders, so I gave one a try. I used the Celebration scent, and it worked fine. Much lighter fragrance than Eucalan, at least to my nose.

In other knitting news, CPH has officially entered the when will it be over? stage. I'm too lazy to check, but I think the sleeves are about halfway finished. I suck at speed knitting, and have resigned myself to last place in our mini-competition. Marie is on the cap shaping of her second sleeve, other Marie is on vacation (but her sleeves are close to being done, I think), and Mary is making fast work of hers. I'd like to have mine done by next week, but they're going on the back burner because today Carolyn and I start our Gothic Leaf mini-KAL. Kristine is making one, too. Time to go cast on for my scarf-sized version right now, so I'll have something to show you later this week!

9 comments:

LotusKnits said...

WOW!!! That is so beautiful! I'm totally impressed.

mary said...

Hee hee! I get to say that it IS even more stunning in person... and all that usual stuff. Thanks for letting me fondle it while modeling it. I'm trying to hold off on my obsession of making a FBS until I finish CPH, but it's hard!

jillian said...

Wow! That is too gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

Ooooh! Soooo pretty! Congratulations!

Annette said...

Stunning! I think that fits into the speed knitting category.

I swatched for a lace pattern and it turns out I should go up a needle size. Normally I knit very loose, so I was surprised. The swatch, however, was in stockinette, not lace. I think I'm going to go with the suggested needle size and see how it turns out.

Anonymous said...

Love that shawl and the model to *wink*

Swatch...what's that? I've never swatched for lace. Occasionally a sweater, when I'm subbing yarns. Yes I have actually knit a swatch before and probably will be again.

Your reports of my progress on CPH are a little out of date, but then I haven't updated either. Sleeves were on the blocking board last night, hood is OTN.

Ellen Bloom said...

Lucky sister! The shawl is beautiful. I've never even fathomed knitting something lacy. I can crochet lace with the best of 'em, but knitting...makes me crazy! I salute you, oh Great KnitDevil!

CatBookMom said...

Whoa! Whadda ya mean you don't get any knitting done? You zoomed through that FBS at nearly light speed! And it looks fabulous, dahlin! Sorry I couldn't join you yeserday!!

Anonymous said...

My gosh, this looks absolutely stunning - and you've knit it up so quickly! What a fragile and delicate pattern, and such a lovely color! Congratulations on an awesome accomplishment!