Thursday, May 31, 2007

Operation Yarn Sausage

As mentioned here, I want to knit a shawl-sized Gothic Leaf out of Euroflax sport weight linen. Online advice culled from Sivia Harding's blog and Knitter's Review said to wash the yarn first, so yesterday I did. Please join me as we walk through Operation Yarn Sausage.

1. Assembled tools - yarn, size 10 crochet cotton and nylons.

2. First I unwound the hanks and gave them a gentle shake to loosen them up. I then placed eight figure eight-shaped ties around them to keep tangling to a minimum during the washing process.

3. Yarn ready for stuffing.

4. Some online knitters recommended washing the linen in mesh bags. I, however, 1) don't have mesh bags, and 2) was concerned about tangling, so I followed Jayne and Mary's recommendation and used nylons. I folded the hanks in half, and put each one in a cut down nylon. I snugged the yarn down into the toe and cinched a knot.

5. Into the washer we go. I set my washer on the smallest load/hottest water setting, added two tablespoons of Eucalan and tossed in the sausages.

6. Thirty minutes later I pulled them out and popped them into the dryer, which was also set to the hottest setting.

7. I ran them through the dryer twice. I took them out and discovered they were still damp. At this point I got bored with the process, unwound the hanks and hung them up to dry. Twenty four hours later they're still damp, so I've just cut off the crochet thread ties, shaken the hanks out and hung them up outside in the shade to finish drying.

Thoughts: Linen is a lovely fiber, but soft isn't an adjective for it until it's well worn. Even so, based on the online comments I read, my expectation was that the washed yarn would soften up considerably. Well, it didn't. It did loosen up a little, however, and feels less slick. After washing, the yarn is shedding fuzzies, but these are easy to remove. The color remains vividly aubergine.

The process was easy and liberating in the way cutting steeks must be liberating: washing non-acrylic/superwash yarn in the washing machine on the hot setting? And drying it in the drying machine on the hot setting? Taboo busting.

Would I pre-wash linen yarn again? Sure. If/when it happens, I'll probably run through the entire process twice, to see if that elusive softness people were talking about occurs.

And as soon as this yarn dries, I'll ball her up and get cracking on my shawl. I'll let you know how the yarn works out then.

14 comments:

LotusKnits said...

Can I say what a great idea the yarn sausage is? It would have taken me a while to think of that.

Lindy said...

I have to admit I got a little scared when I read "hottest water" and "hottest dryer" settings. You're much braver than I am!

mary said...

This Yarn Sausage tutorial is probably an original and one o' the best! Glad it worked out but wish it could have come out softer. Those sausages in the dryer cracked me up!

Anonymous said...

What an awesome tut, it's been so interesting to read through! How great that it worked, though it really should have come out a tad softer! Sausages? Priceless!!!

Liz K. said...

Thanks so much for taking us through the process. I have to admit that yarn doesn't usually hurt my hands but I've never knit with linen before. How sad I would be if yarn hurt me, but now I have a solution.

Annette said...

I'm still giggling! :D Thanks for the tutorial. Now I'll know what to do in the future. I love the aubergine! Yarn sausages! heeheehee....

jillian said...

When I saw the title of your post, I said "wah???". And then I saw the sausage!

Wish it worked out better the first time through for you, though.

Anonymous said...

Oh, gosh... you have no idea what went through my head when I saw the words "yarn sausage".

(I'm so mature.)

Anonymous said...

I have washed my Euroflax linen scarf NINE times, and it is as stiff as ever. Well, it's not soft, anyway. I hope yours works out; the color is lovely.

jayne said...

This is a fab little photo essay on how to yarn sausage.

That wording cracked me up too.

I felt quite tee hee hee, throwing a ball of just newly dyed and sausaged yarn into the wash. Like a little adventure with results unknown until you do it.

I was hoping to hear you say it came out significantly softer too. Alas. Maybe it has to be worn and moved around a lot before that happens.

Be prepared to wear bandaids on some fingers as you go. That's what I had to do when I was knitting with hemp.

mehitabel said...

Cool idea, and hopefully it will save a few fingers when you knit it up. It's still a great color! Do you suppose they call it "Euroflax" because it hasn't been beaten up enough to turn into linen yet?? Just wonderin'!

Anonymous said...

I will never look at sausage the same again. We ladies can think of all kinds of things to do with pantyhose can't we? Do you think the yarn will sofen up with wear and maybe more washing? I hope it works out because that dark purple is wonderful and would look fab in the GL.

Anonymous said...

SO interesting! Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm curious to see how it knits up!

Romi said...

Very very cool! Thanks for the tutorial. :)