Thursday, January 04, 2007

Cables a la Kermit

I'd been hankering to try Berroco's Ultra Alpaca ever since it came out last year. To that end, last summer I bought two skeins of it in this fab green (color 6275 pea soup mix), which I threw into the stash until I figured out a test run project for it. Inspiration finally struck in late December. I pulled the skeins out, and whipped up two simple cabled scarves. I've yet to wash and block them, but so far this alpaca/wool blend gets a thumbs up.

Double Cable Scarf from One Skein

Karaoke Cable Scarf from kpixie

Ultra Alpaca is a breeze to knit (I used bamboo US 8s and flew along), and its yardage (215 yds per skein) and color selection (50 shades) are user-friendly. The alpaca does bring some fuzziness without obscuring the stitches, which is nifty, but even so this isn't a cushy merino. In the stable of yarns, Ultra Alpaca is definitely a workhorse, and I can totally see hitching my saddle to it for future projects.

P. S. Apologies for the dreadful photos; it was beginning to rain, and I just threw the scarves on the trellis and clicked away. The truest color of the yarn is seen in the third photo.

9 comments:

mary said...

Gorgeous scarves and yummy yarn. Thanks for your review of Ultra Alpaca. The double karaoke scarf even looks kinda fuzzy. Nice!

Anonymous said...

Great color and nice work there! Please don't tell me nice things about any yarn, though, or Evil Twin will hear you. Then when my credit card bill comes...

Anonymous said...

Hey! Those scarves are all kind of awesome! Nice job and the yarn looks great too!

jillian said...

Mnnnn...pretty cables! Both those scarves are beautiful. Glad to hear your thumbs up for that yarn. I have some in the stash for a sweater project...but haven't swatched or anything yet. Now I want to do it right away!

Annette said...

Pretty cables! I love both patterns. Haven't used the yarn yet, so thanks for the good info. That's one of my favorite shades of green.

Anonymous said...

Great scarves! I especially love the karaoke pattern - I'll have to keep it in mind for a future scarf.

Anonymous said...

What a very beautiful scarf this is! I really love the pattern, and the yarn seems to be every bit as soft and cozy as you describe it! And the colour is amazing!

Anonymous said...

I just love those scarves, Madge. Simple cable patterns? I don't think so, but then you know me. The colors are gorgeous. More, more.

Fumblefingers

Anonymous said...

Both scarves are lovely--I couldn't choose which one I like the best. I love the green!