Friday, January 12, 2007

A Wandering Eye

There's been no knitting this week. Instead, I've been furiously crocheting a baby blanket for a little one who was born a few weeks early. I began the blanket back in October, but procrastinated, and now, as the Yarn Harlot says, I'm monogamous for a few more days. To miles and miles of double crochet.

So no knitting. But there has been stash enhancement. And a new tote bag that has released my inner psychobilly.

First up is a skein of Sereknity's superwash sport merino in Mike and Ike. I actually bought this in mid-December, and have been hankering after a skein of her Sweet Tarts colorway ever since. Her etsy shop has lots of fun stuff, including yarn, roving, stitch markers, needles and sock kits that would make a great gift. (The sock kits are sold out right now, but you can see them where the "items sold" are listed.)

Next up is a skein of Yarn Pirate's superwash fingering merino in a one-off color she dyed called Copper. I just love the subtle color shifts - there's even a little pink in there - and hope to use it for a lace scarf.

Part of my Christmas haul was a couple of gift certificates to the Loopy Ewe. Shortly after the first of the year I discovered there was a new shipment of Sweet Georgia in, and I immediately snapped up some of her Superwash Sock in Firefly. I really like this colorway. It's a lot more vivid in person, which is a most excellent surprise. It also completes my Joss Whedon-themed Sweet Georgia sock yarn collection.


Also couldn't pass up this Claudia's Hand Painted in Tropicana.

Once the blanket is finished, and I've begun a new project using some of this great yarn, I'll be carrying it around in my tote from Novelty Creations.

Isn't the fabric rockin'? This etsy seller uses really hip fabrics and transfers - check out the Russ Meyer's Faster Pussycat one - and offers two sizes for the totes, medium (13"x13") and large (15"x15"). I bought the medium size, and it is perfect for small to medium sized projects. The bag is really well made, with a nice lining and sturdy handles.

So lots of goodies waiting for me. But now, it's back to the neverending blanket....

9 comments:

Ellen Bloom said...

Phew! What a good haul!! Love that bag. Your crochet work looks great. Are you going to make socks with all the sock yarn? I like to crochet with sock yarn sometimes....very smooth.

Anonymous said...

love those yarn in a bush pics. i just got some Claudia hand paints from The Loopy Ewe too and I LOVE THEM!!!

jillian said...

You got your tote! You got your tote! It's so cool. I got one today to :) Totes all around! Incredible stash enhancement! You don't mess around.

mehitabel said...

Wonderful wonderments!! What great colorways--should be so much fun to see them as they are worked up. I just love me some bright bright yarns! Not that I ever actually wear bright colors, but that doesn't mean I can't knit with them, right?? The baby blanket will be darling, and you know what The Harlot says about crochet--it's so damned fast, you'll be done before you even know you've started! (Don't I wish!)

mary said...

Nice haul! I can't wait to fondle them in person, and that bag is to die for. I especially love the etsy shop where they had everything from hello kitty, mary engelbreit and country kitchen to skulls and more skulls! That baby blanket is going to be a mom's best friend when the baby gets it. So sweet!

Annette said...

Stop! Stop! You and Jillian are killing me with your shopping excursions! :) And then you post the links to boot! I'm doing everything in my power not to click on those links.

I love all your new yarn. Excellent colors! Very cool bag! I think I need to back away from the computer now. Put the mouse down and back away. ;)

Anonymous said...

Eesh! Nice stash enhancements and that bag rocks!! (Love the Faster Pussycat bag too.)
Mmmmm, sweet georgia yarns...*drool*
Good luck on the blanket! It's looking fantastic!!

Anonymous said...

Oh, that baby blanket is going to look so lovely - it actually already does! And gosh, the new yarns that you got - my, they're all gorgeous! I adore the colours! And the bag is totally awesome too - perfect, absolutely! ;)

yarnophiliac said...

I can't wait to see what you do with the Mike & Ike! Thank you so much for the kind words!